Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorkguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
very close
Hi there,
recently upgraded to High Sierra on a MBP mid 2015 and I have the problem the SSD ist filling up after some hours after startup. This means starting from 50GB free disk space going to under 1GB. There are no downloads running, Just browser, Mail and Evernote. Tried daisy disk to locate big files. No luck. Any ideas as I´m no so into terminal? Any other apps...?

Thanks for any help.
cheers

n

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Check your iCloud settings, particularly iCloud Drive and Photos . If you have a large amount of cloud-based storage and your settings for those features had previously been "Optimize Storage" but are now otherwise... everything you have in the cloud is being copied to your HD.

System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive: Optimize Mac Storage is un-checked
Photos > Preferences > iCloud: Download Originals to this Mac has been checked

If so, the option to Optimize Storage should help.

Dropbox and other cloud storage services have similar settings (whether to keep copies of documents on Mac).

There are other possibilities, but these don't require you to go under the hood.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
TURN OFF Time Machine
DELETE "time machine local backups".
TURN OFF the "hibernation mode" if it's on.
DELETE the "sleep image".
TURN OFF Spotlight.

My opinion only.
Others will disagree.
Some will disagree vehemently.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Hi there,
recently upgraded to High Sierra on a MBP mid 2015 and I have the problem the SSD ist filling up after some hours after startup. This means starting from 50GB free disk space going to under 1GB. There are no downloads running, Just browser, Mail and Evernote. Tried daisy disk to locate big files. No luck. Any ideas as I´m no so into terminal? Any other apps...?

Thanks for any help.
cheers

n

I had the same issue some time ago (twice). Not sure what was causing it, but I went ahead and wiped out the system and started over. That seem to work. Do a time machine backup and if it happens again, then reimagined from a full backup that was during a time when your system did not do this.

Yes, it is a pain, but it resolved my issue.

Reactions: newyorkguy

Oleg K.

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Hi there,

Thanks for any help.
cheers

n

Does it create any problems for performance, or is it just confusing? Most likely, it's APFS creating local snapshots of Time Machine. Do you see any "purgeable space" in DaisyDisk (inside the "hidden space", make sure you use the latest version) or in Disk Utility? As a rule, macOS will eventually free up the purgeable space by itself, or if you need it urgently, you can use DaisyDisk to forcedly reclaim it.

newyorkguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
very close
Finally found out the calendar agent went mad and generated files filling up my SSD. Deleted prefs and calender folders in the library and it stopped. After I put back the folders from a backup the entries didn´t appeared again. Don´t know why, but however no filling up anymore.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Finally found out the calendar agent went mad and generated files filling up my SSD. Deleted prefs and calender folders in the library and it stopped. After I put back the folders from a backup the entries didn´t appeared again. Don´t know why, but however no filling up anymore.

I hope you provided feedback to Apple on that. Just one more version to go before High Sierra ends for good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.