Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuart Brodie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2020
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi,

Last week my iMac (mid-2010 model) began restarting for no reason. After doing some diagnostics I was able to determine it was my mail causing the issue.
I'm unable to open the mail to do any further diagnostics within the app. Before I did the step below I would open the mail and the iMac would just restart instantly.

So far I've tried to do the following

~/Library/Containers//Data/Library/Preferences - look for the plist and drag it to desktop and restart the mail.

When I reopen the mail now it will import 130,000 and once it has done that my iMac just restarts again.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Try trashing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail-shared.plist as well. (or com.apple.mail.plist)

But I wonder if it might be something like a bad disk sector as well. Try rebooting to recovery partition, or probably in your case, with an install DVD or USB. Then run disk first aid on your boot drive.
If you can manage it, DiskWarrior would be even better (for when First Aid doesn't work). You can create a DW boot disk and try to repair the disk that way.

jacoblogan

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2020
Try trashing ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail-shared.plist as well. (or com.apple.mail.plist)

But I wonder if it might be something like a bad disk sector as well. Try rebooting to recovery partition, or probably in your case, with an install DVD or USB. Then run disk first aid on your boot drive.
If you can manage it, DiskWarrior would be even better (for when First Aid doesn't work). You can create a DW boot disk and try to repair the disk that way.
That is very helpful! thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.