Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Hello,
I have a MacBook Air "13" from 2015 (128GBSSD 8GB Ram 1.6 i5 processor).

Right now it's running the latest version of macOS Sierra and it runs smoothly. Should I upgrade to High Sierra? Would the performance be the same, or maybe even better in some areas, or would it be a risk to upgrade? I've heard different reports from different people... some say that it becomes really slow so I am not sure wether to update or not...

Any help would be be appreciated!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
There's no real risk to it. If you update and decide you prefer Sierra, you can just go back to Sierra. It's not like iOS where the older software can't be installed.

I've been happy enough with High Sierra myself.

Reactions: Superspeed500

Superspeed500

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2013
I have a MacBook Pro 15-inch 2010 (2.4Ghz i5, GeForce GT330m, 4 GB RAM, 240GB SSD (not original disk)) with High Sierra. My Mac had no noticable change in performance, but Macs react diffrent to the OS updates. It's hard to say how your Mac will do without trying the update.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
There's no real risk to it. If you update and decide you prefer Sierra, you can just go back to Sierra. It's not like iOS where the older software can't be installed.

I've been happy enough with High Sierra myself.
The MBA is my secondary computer and I haven't set up a time machine backup for it yet, should I do that before I update, if I decide to update...?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The MBA is my secondary computer and I haven't set up a time machine backup for it yet, should I do that before I update, if I decide to update...?

It is ALWAYS best practice to have a backup before an update or any significant change that could impact your system.
You can set up TM or you can opt for a bootable clone (Carbon Copy Cloner is my preferred choice)
I would actually recommend both long term, but if it just a test, I would clone it, update and try it and use the clone to go back if necessary

I think you will find the update to High Sierra to be relatively unnoticeable in performance or features

Reactions: Superspeed500

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

I agree with MacDawg. To be honest, unless you have vital data, I wouldn't consider it that crucial in this case, but better safe than sorry, right?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Right now it's running the latest version of macOS Sierra and it runs smoothly. Should I upgrade to High Sierra? Would the performance be the same, or maybe even better in some areas, or would it be a risk to upgrade?"

I'm gonna give you my "standard, boilerplate" advice.

When one has an OS install that is "running smoothly", there's always an amount of risk that if you "change things", it might not be "as smooth" any more.
That's the chance you take with an upgrade.
And frankly, High Sierra has been a "bag of hurt" for more than a few users.

However, there's a way to "protect yourself" if things go wrong -- a way that will make it VERY easy to "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged".

Do this:
1. Get an external drive.
2. Use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the contents of your CURRENT installation, creating a BOOTABLE cloned backup.
3. Once you've done this, do the upgrade.
4. IF things go wrong, you can now do this:
4a. BOOT FROM the cloned backup
4b. ERASE your internal drive (NUKE IT "back to zero")
4c. RE-clone the contents of your cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
Do this, and you'll be "right back where you started from", just like "the day you left".

If you DON'T do the above, you can still "get back", but it's NOT going to be "easy".
It will be a struggle.

TIP for the High Sierra install.
1. Download the installer app but DON'T run it from your internal drive
2. Get a USB flashdrive, 8gb or 16gb
3. Download "Boot Buddy" (it's free) from:
https://sqwarq.com/boot-buddy/
4. Use BB to create a USB flashdrive installer
5. Boot from the installer
6. NOW run the OS installer app.
Things seem to go better this way.

Reactions: Macdctr

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I am making a Time Machine Backup of my MBA right now, but I think I'll just stay on Sierra. It seems to be a lot of work to upgrade (as it can go wrong etc). I'll probably update when 10.14 comes out:)

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
I am making a Time Machine Backup of my MBA right now, but I think I'll just stay on Sierra. It seems to be a lot of work to upgrade (as it can go wrong etc). I'll probably update when 10.14 comes out:)
I would wait. Read about some of the problems that some people have had after they installed High Sierra.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I would wait. Read about some of the problems that some people have had after they installed High Sierra.
I will wait. The features in HS seem nice but are nothing I can’t love without so I’ll just stay on Sierra for the time being.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I am making a Time Machine Backup of my MBA right now, but I think I'll just stay on Sierra."

A TM backup can't do for you what a BOOTABLE CLONED backup can do.
It will prove woefully insufficient.
Ignore my advice above... and you'll "find out the hard way".

Last edited:
Reactions: Macdctr

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
What would be better 10.13.3 or 10.14.0
Will still have threat of bugs if initial concern.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
What I meant was that I'll update to the final version of High Sierra at the same time that macOS 10.14 comes out! The issues with HS seem to many to risk an upgrade on a computer that runs smoothly.

Reactions: madrich

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
It does surprise me that the biggest tech company in the world has these issues with updates... A few years ago I always updated when the update was available and didn't really have any issues. First time I had an issue was with Sierra, when that came out. It slowed down my MBP and created a constant fan issue so I reverted back to El Capitan which works fine except for those fans lol

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
One month later, is macOS High Sierra stable enough to install now?

I've kept my Air on Sierra due to the unstable performance reports on High Sierra.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
One month later, is macOS High Sierra stable enough to install now?

I've kept my Air on Sierra due to the unstable performance reports on High Sierra.

I have a 2015 MacBook Air 2.2GHz i7 8GB 512GB NVMe M.2 and am running High Sierra OS 10.13.5 beta and have not experienced any issues OS-wize. I would do the install using a thumb drive, this is how I did mine and have not had any issues. I have found High Sierra to be very stable on my 2015 MBA.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I have a 2015 MacBook Air 2.2GHz i7 8GB 512GB NVMe M.2 and am running High Sierra OS 10.13.5 beta and have not experienced any issues OS-wize. I would do the install using a thumb drive, this is how I did mine and have not had any issues. I have found High Sierra to be very stable on my 2015 MBA.
I have never updated from a thumb drive but will try.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I have never updated from a thumb drive but will try.

I used a 16GB thumb drive and installed Mac OS 10.13 Installer (downloaded onto my MacBook Pro). I used the application software (Install Disk Creator) to make the 16GB thumb drive into a Mac OS X installer thumb drive on my MacBook Pro then used that thumb drive to install High Sierra onto my MacBook Air.

Here's the link: https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.