Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
IF you can get yourself booted again, I suggest this course of action:

Instead of trying to install "from the Mac's internal drive itself", create and boot from an USB flash drive version of the installer, and try the install that way.
Here's what you need:
1. A USB flashdrive 8gb or 16gb
2. A copy of the installer app (you already have that, it's probably in your "applications" folder)
3. The FREE little utility "Boot Buddy":
Boot Buddy – sqwarq

What to do:
a. Open Boot Buddy and create the flash drive installer -- takes a few clicks of the mouse (it will take a while to prepare the flash drive)
b. Power down the Mac, connect the flashdrive
c. Boot to the flashdrive (press power on and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears. Then select the flashdrive and hit return)
d. It should open to the installer app.
e. Try the install that way to see if it goes better.

My guess is... that it might.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
IF you can get yourself booted again, I suggest this course of action:

Instead of trying to install "from the Mac's internal drive itself", create and boot from an USB flash drive version of the installer, and try the install that way.
Here's what you need:
1. A USB flashdrive 8gb or 16gb
2. A copy of the installer app (you already have that, it's probably in your "applications" folder)
3. The FREE little utility "Boot Buddy":
Boot Buddy – sqwarq

What to do:
a. Open Boot Buddy and create the flash drive installer -- takes a few clicks of the mouse (it will take a while to prepare the flash drive)
b. Power down the Mac, connect the flashdrive
c. Boot to the flashdrive (press power on and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears. Then select the flashdrive and hit return)
d. It should open to the installer app.
e. Try the install that way to see if it goes better.

My guess is... that it might.
Would he use Boot Buddy on a different computer? Cause from this thread it seems his computer can't boot into the OS.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
my mac is MACBOOK PRO MID 2014, 13inch retina
i wanted to reinstall mac os sierra and after reading instructions on some of the blogs i tried the same but i think i have mixed different steps
first i used cmd + r
then changed the partition format to mac mac os extended journaled
then i reinstalled mac os high sierra and from past 1.5 hrs it has stuck at 3min pls help me out .... if anything happens to mac my parents gonna kill me
Assuming you're booted to the recovery partition, I'd just wait longer. An internet install can take a long time because it has to download the 5-6 gigabyte installer. Be patient, and don't worry about the time remaining counter. Those are terribly inaccurate because they have to make guesses. If 24 hours elapses with no success, then let's talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.