Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desagradable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Hello, just out of curiosity .... Do you occupy today (2020) Mac OS Lion? What mac do you have (configuration) and for what purposes do you play lion?

first i: i upgraded my mbp 13' early 2011 (changed hdd for a ssd.... and i waiting for 8gb ram ddr3 1333mhz x2 for upgrade from 4gb to 16gb total).... and i installed el capitan but i had to back to lion (occupying carbon copy cloner), because my traktor scratch duo was not compatible with the capitan (i had to pay an additional license to occupy a more current version of Traktor).
.... actually use my mbp with lion for music use (traktor scrtach duo, ableton live 9 and protools 10hd) and work great (very fast (18 second to load for use) and estable).

I read them
regards

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I would personally recommend either Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion (or Mavericks) over Lion. I haven't used Lion since it was current, but it stands out in my memory as being a buggier release than either of the adjacent versions.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

desagradable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
I would personally recommend either Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion (or Mavericks) over Lion. I haven't used Lion since it was current, but it stands out in my memory as being a buggier release than either of the adjacent versions.

Hello
Honestly, i have no experience of another mac os x. I've had my mac since 2011 and this operating system has never given me a problem. Now i changed the hdd for an ssd and i managed to increase from 4 to 16gb of ram and the mbp is fantastic, I don't see the need.
Regards

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I would like to have my Sapphire RX580 run on Mt. Lion, is that possible?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I would like to have my Sapphire RX580 run on Mt. Lion, is that possible?
Definitely not, that card didn't come out until 2017! Lion was released in 2011.

This is a useful resource if you're trying to get a video card that's compatible with a specific version of OS X (click over to the "OS X Version" tab), although I'm not sure what's going on with the AMD side. (Is the minimum OS for a 280X 10.7.5 or 10.8.3? It can't be both...)

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Thanks for the info. Was researching this Kexts.

Seems that the RX 580 needs the SSE4.2

Instruction set which El Capitan does not have, not sure if you can just swap in kexts from a newer OS

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Thanks for the info. Was researching this Kexts.

Seems that the RX 580 needs the SSE4.2

Instruction set which El Capitan does not have, not sure if you can just swap in kexts from a newer OS

Well, if you’re extremely bored feel free to try it and report back—you never know—but be aware that swapping kexts like that almost never works. The Apple drivers are designed for specific versions of macOS. Even the third party nVidia drivers almost never work across major versions (even when you patch the artificial compatibility check).

I don’t think the miniscule chance of success is worth the effort, myself. Not for Graphics drivers, and certainly not across such a large version differential. Buy a compatible card!

Last edited:

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I should have bought the Nvidia 680. Metal card and supports older Mt. Lion.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
Well, if you’re extremely bored feel free to try it and report back—you never know—but be aware that swapping kexts like that almost never works. The Apple drivers are designed for specific versions of macOS. Even the third party nVidia drivers almost never work across major versions (even when you patch the artificial compatibility check).

I don’t think the miniscule chance of success is worth the effort, myself. Not for Graphics drivers, and certainly not across such a large version differential. Buy a compatible card!
I understand fully. I do have a Sapphire RX580 compatible card. It's just I can't open Pro Tools 10 on Mt. Lion. The 680 can and I'll have to snag one, which is metal as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.