Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Hi!

When I press Command R at boot this page about reset password appears https://i.imgur.com/JLPiu5E.jpg and then before I can do anything I get a Kernel Panic and a reboot over and over again. I can't seem to enter Recovery.

I just want to enter into the Recovery screen.

iMac Late 2015 i5 3.2Ghz 1TB Fusion 32GB RAM

macOS Mojave 10.14

And I have already unplugged everything from the iMac other than the power cable and ethernet cable (I also tried without the ethernet cable).

Someone suggested that I try Internet Recovery Mode CMD>Option>R at boot. After this the Internet Recovery seemed to load, however, again I was presented with the Password page (as in in the .jjpg above). Then I decided to select one of the options (I've now tried all 3 options) and when it attempts to unlock the volume (HD) I experience a kernel panic, every single time.

I also ran a diagnostics test (D on boot) and it returned a result of "No Issues Found'

So, it appears that any time I try to unlock the volume I experience a Kernel Panic.

Right now I cannot enter the Recovery partition, I cannot boot into Safe Mode, and when I attempt to enter Recovery Mode from Intenet Recovery Mode ... all that happens is the Password page loads (Seen in the .jpg above) and then I experience a Kernel Panic.

I have no idea what has caused this.

Any help or suggestions are really appreciated.

Last edited:

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
I guess the only option I have is to download macOS Mojave from another mac and create a bootable USB drive and re-install, then restore from time machine.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
If you have the Time Machine backup, then yes I would go that route.

The iMac was actually surge damaged. The problem happened directly after a storm but I thought nothing of it. I ended up getting a technician to look at it and he told me it had catastrophic failure due to electrical surge damage.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
In your first post you said:

I have no idea what has caused this.

Now you tell us:

The iMac was actually surge damaged. The problem happened directly after a storm but I thought nothing of it. I ended up getting a technician to look at it and he told me it had catastrophic failure due to electrical surge damage.

You're probably looking at an expensive repair if logic board components were damaged. There is also a good possibility that the power supply may have also been damaged by the surge.

If you decide to repair it or replace it, buy yourself a good UPS with surge protection and auto shut down.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
In your first post you said:

Now you tell us:

You're probably looking at an expensive repair if logic board components were damaged. There is also a good possibility that the power supply may have also been damaged by the surge.

If you decide to repair it or replace it, buy yourself a good UPS with surge protection and auto shut down.

Insurance covered it, getting a new 2017 iMac 3.5ghz 27" 5k next week, luckily

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.