Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awesumsauce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2017
Playa Vista, CA

Hi,

I have a 2017 retina MBP 15

I noticed an unusual behavior after upgrading to macOS Mojave. When I boot from shut down after opening the lid, the Apple logo and the loading bar loads halfway through with my wallpaper in the background, then the screen goes black with a pause for a few seconds and the apple logo re-appears and finishes up the load.

Is this normal?

I never noticed this in High Sierra. Anytime I booted up from shut down state by opening the lid, it booted seamlessly with my wallpaper in the background all the time with no pauses.

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As long as the boot process completes and the computer runs normally, I wouldn't worry about this.

I've seen the same behavior myself, and I've also seen reports from others about this as well.

My guess (and it's ONLY "a guess") -- something to do with the way video drivers load up, reading of startup cache files, etc.

Perhaps Apple will address this in an update-yet-to-come.

But so long as everything works fine -afterwards-, again, I wouldn't get too worried about it...

Reactions: awesumsauce

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I had a problem installing Mojave and when this blackout first occurred I was concerned. I went to an Apple store and did a restart on a couple of their display models all of which had this same behaviour.

Many people have noticed this behaviour and it seems that it is not a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.