Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parsec

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
Does anybody else experience regular performance 'hick-ups' on Monterey when there is more than one system user logged-in?

Never had this issue until I upgraded to Monterey, even after a clean install this still keeps happening. It is most prevalent when watching videos on YouTube where every 20-30 seconds, the video will freeze for about half a second or so. It also happens during typing where the letters stop appearing for a few keystrokes and then a second later they will appear. It is very irritating! Even when Activity Monitor shows nearly no CPU usage (< 10%).

Before Monterey, it never happened even during high CPU-usage.

And if so, any idea how to fix it?

2016 MacBook Pro 15" with Radeon Pro 460

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Just tested here and don't see any of those issues.

If you create two new test user accounts and log into those (and not your original accounts) does the problem still exist?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
what does the activity monitor tell you? does this happen only in Safari? Did you try a different browser? Or e.g. VLC?

Parsec

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
How do you have more than one system user logged in at the same time?
You can have multiple users logged in at the same time. Although only one can actively use the computer at any one time unless you do a remote login through another computer or have two screens + control devices.

what does the activity monitor tell you? does this happen only in Safari? Did you try a different browser? Or e.g. VLC?

It happens with Safari, Firefox, VLC. The sound continues without a glitch, but video and keyboard input are affected. Could you please be more specific at what it is you would you like me to check in Activity Monitor? I already stated that it still happens when the computer is almost idling

Parsec

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
What hardware (if any), including external input devices, is connected?

Anyone running any background apps?
I sometimes have a Magic Mouse and a Logitech MX keys connected. But it also happens with nothing connected (no Bluetooth, not wired).

- If I boot up, there are no issues, regardless of anything is connected or not
- If I log in with the second (newly created user with no background processes, no software running... just being logged in idling) the hiccups occur
- As soon as I log out the second user, the problems disappear

All of this while the processor is nearly idling (for YouTube it sometimes goes to 10-20% or so)

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Since you've tested with two new accounts and with no external devices connected it would seem the issue lies in the system partition.

You're probably going to have to try the non-destructive macOS reinstall (back up first!)…but give an NVRAM/PRAM reset a shot first:

Parsec

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
Since you've tested with two new accounts and with no external devices connected it would seem the issue lies in the system partition.

You're probably going to have to try the non-destructive macOS reinstall (back up first!)…but give an NVRAM/PRAM reset a shot first:

Thanks for the hint. I'll try the NVRAM and PRAM reset. However I don't think a reinstall will do anything since I first noticed it straight after a clean install.

If all of it fails, I just hope they fix it in the next macOS

Parsec

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
I turned off automatic graphics switching. That seems to have solved it temporarily. Funny enough, the problem did not disappear when an application was running that required the discrete graphics.

I've just reset the SMC to see if that solves it. I'd like to keep auto switching enabled if I can.

Edit: No, that did not solve the problem, but turning off graphics switching so far holds up

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.