Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdoTedo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
just update from OsX 10.11 to macOs Sierra. After rebooting I keep getting this message: "macOs needs to repair your Library to run application. Type your password to allow this."
I google around a bit, but of course there is nothing about the last Apple Os.
I already did a disk utility repair, which actually should also fix permission issue, but no luck.
Many applications stuck like App Store, my Office 365, preference and so on
I'm running out of idea, the only chance left is to reinstall everything but it's really my last option.
Any idea?

thanks

Last edited:

Halleluhjah

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2017
What I did was to go into System Preferences and Users and Groups. Then in Login Options go to Edit the Network Account Server. Click on Open Directory Utility. Click on Active Directory. Click on the little arrow on the left side of this window to unhide. Make sure the following are checked: 'Create mobile Account at login'. 'Force local home directory on startup disk', 'Use UNC from the Active Drectory to derive network home location, Network protocol to be used: smb',' Default user shell: /bin/bash'. Uncheck 'Require confirmation before creating a mobile account.'

Hope this helps!

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
What I did was to go into System Preferences and Users and Groups. Then in Login Options go to Edit the Network Account Server. Click on Open Directory Utility. Click on Active Directory. Click on the little arrow on the left side of this window to unhide. Make sure the following are checked: 'Create mobile Account at login'. 'Force local home directory on startup disk', 'Use UNC from the Active Drectory to derive network home location, Network protocol to be used: smb',' Default user shell: /bin/bash'. Uncheck 'Require confirmation before creating a mobile account.'

Hope this helps!

Wouldn't that create some kind of roaming user account? I'd go the simpler route of just creating a new user account the normal way. That should fix OP's issue.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
I'll suggest making a new user account too. If the problem persists it's better to start from scratch, in particular if you've ever modified any system files on a previous version of macOS.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Hope this helps!
This is not the correct process to resolve this with a computer that is not on a corporate network.

Reactions: stooovie

cpenna

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2017
just update from OsX 10.11 to macOs Sierra. After rebooting I keep getting this message: "macOs needs to repair your Library to run application. Type your password to allow this."
I google around a bit, but of course there is nothing about the last Apple Os.
I already did a disk utility repair, which actually should also fix permission issue, but no luck.
Many applications stuck like App Store, my Office 365, preference and so on
I'm running out of idea, the only chance left is to reinstall everything but it's really my last option.
Any idea?

thanks

I had this scenario this morning but it was after using the migration tool.
most of the Library files had the 'owner' and 'group' as numbers (i.e no longer linked to the actual user account logged in)
Open terminal. do ls -al in the home directory and see what you can see. You may find something like this (i've only pasted some for the purposes of illustration
C02NL05EF8J2:~ cpenna$ ls -al
total 240
drwxr-xr-x 31 cpenna LTU\Domain Users 1054 Mar 8 11:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 9 root admin 306 Nov 21 11:50 ..
-r-------- 1 cpenna LTU\Domain Users 7 Sep 22 09:19 .CFUserTextEncoding
-rw-r--r--@ 1 cpenna LTU\Domain Users 22532 Mar 8 11:30 .DS_Store
drwxrwxr-x 2 root LTU\Domain Users 68 Aug 27 2015 .InstallAnywhere
drwx------ 2 cpenna LTU\Domain Users 68 Mar 8 11:33 .Trash
drwx------@ 66 37682 37682 2244 Sep 27 09:04 Library
drwx------+ 9 cpenna LTU\Domain Users 306 Jan 27 2016 Movies

To fix this, do the following (replace username & groupname to match your system)
sudu chown -R username ~/Library
sudo chgrp -R groupname ~/Library

Hope this helps

Reactions: gnyrfta

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2009
I keep having this issue. But after I reboot with the "MacOS needs to repair your library" message, I get a two text box login (Sierra Mac Server OS, latest, June 22, 2017) and nothing I enter works. I have to restore the entire machine from backup!

Also, when I got the dialog about needing to repair the library (before I rebooted and couldn't get back in), it puts my user name in the name field, but the password doesn't work, either. Also tried the SU account, but nope.

What in the heck is going on?

The machine seems to get this weird corruption every few days!!!

HELP!

cpenna

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2017
I keep having this issue. But after I reboot with the "MacOS needs to repair your library" message, I get a two text box login (Sierra Mac Server OS, latest, June 22, 2017) and nothing I enter works. I have to restore the entire machine from backup!

Also, when I got the dialog about needing to repair the library (before I rebooted and couldn't get back in), it puts my user name in the name field, but the password doesn't work, either. Also tried the SU account, but nope.

HELP!

I'm assuming when you say password doesn't work, it's after logging in and a window pops up asking for password? If so, that's probably a keychain password. Can you run terminal? If so, you should be able to repair permissions from there and gain some control back.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

HELP!
Are you trying to sign in to the server with an Open Directory or Active Directory account? If so, don't do that; make a local administrator account on the server and sign in with that.

Create1314

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Brand new IMac. Did the migration. Everything worked - eventually. Now have the "macOS needs to repair you Library to run applications." Populates with the UN but my password won't work and it won't "Cancel". Everything else working fine. This is a stand alone computer - not on a network server. Is there a simple answer? Mac Sierra 10.12.6

Ran "First Aid" tab after opening Disk Utilities at Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities - was able to cancel the error message.
[doublepost=1505150518][/doublepost]
Are you trying to sign in to the server with an Open Directory or Active Directory account? If so, don't do that; make a local administrator account on the server and sign in with that.

HELP!

Same problem on brand new IMac that is stand alone. Everything migrated and works fine then the same error message. I was able to cancel the message by running First Aid. Open Disk Utilities at Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities and click on First Aid tab. Run First Aid.

Last edited:

hwhuyler

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
USA
MAC OS10.12 == Repair library to run apps; cdld key chain; sharing keychain. All these issues appeared on one of my USER screens. USER act is now grayed out. What do I do?

DrewMerkle

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2019

This happened to me recently after using migration assistant, which had changed the owner of the second user account files incorrectly to the first user account. I fixed it by logging in as the first user and using the command line to fix the ownership.

cd /Users/usertwo
ls -alh
sudo chown -R usertwo ./*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.