Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnechtNoobrecht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2020
Hi.
I installed Linux Mint on my MacBook from late 2009 to just try it out.
In order to do that, i added a partition to my SSD, so the one for macOS had to get smaller.
After i was done trying what i wanted to, i went back into macOS, opened Disk-Management-Utility and deleted the partition for Linux and the macOS partition would become the same size as before.
I got a weird error that something didn't work and thought i'd boot into recovery mode to check what was going on.
Restarted, CMD+R doesn't work. Mac is booting into so-thought deleted Linux partition, where i only get a GNU shell.
Then i created a USB-Stick with a macOS installer on it and went into Disk-Management-Utility to get to see that there is no macOS partition anymore. At least macOS doesn't recognize it as one.
The partition where macOS should be installed on is just named disk0s2 and the one where Linux was installed on is just gone and its not even shown as free space, 190GB are just gone.
I attached a photo of the partitioning of the drive.
I appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

EDIT: I added a photo of "diskutil list"
EDIT 2: When i try "diskutil verifyVolume disk0s2" or "diskutil repariVolume disk0s2" i get "Error starting file system repair for disk0s2: Unrecognized file system (-69846)"

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_184719__01.jpg
    IMG_20201014_184719__01.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20201014_190510__01.jpg
    IMG_20201014_190510__01.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
As you have discovered it is dangerous to install other OSs on your boot disk. Put them on another disk. Or, perhaps better, in a virtual machine.

Enough preaching. You can recover by doing Internet Recovery, erasing your disk, installing macOS and with Migration Assistant get back your apps, data and settings from Time Machine. Or whatever backup system you use.

Maybe not Internet Recovery on such an old Mac. You probably need to create an installer USB stick on another Mac.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Internet recovery is impossible on any 2009 Mac -- can't be done.

Sounds like you'll have to boot from an external source (if the USB flashdrive works), then ERASE the internal drive and start over.

Hope your Mac stuff was backed up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.