Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizzforte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
If hackers try to get access to an iPhone the security system will lock the phone after a few attempts preventing the hackers to get access. Is this the same with MacBooks and macOS? I know about FileVault locking the hard drive after the shut down but will these measures prevent hackers from trying out millions of passwords like the iPhone does?

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Only on newer Macs with the T2 chip. I cannot recall how many attempts you have before the chip refuses to unlock the disk, but I remember that macOS is more lenient than iOS (more than 10 attempts). When you use FileVault, you cannot decrypt the disk without your password and the volume key contained within the T2 chip, so in that sense the security is similar.

Reactions: blizzforte

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
One simple step to make that scenario (trying out millions of passwords) unlikely would be to make your login password more difficult (and longer). I often suggest using passphrases, using at least 25 characters. (millions of tries won't get there, when there would be more than 10^24 combinations. (My math is probably not quite there, but it will be a large number :cool: ). Good first step will be to change your filevault unlock code to a code different from your admin login. Most users that I work with use the same password for both....

Reactions: blizzforte

blizzforte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
One simple step to make that scenario (trying out millions of passwords) unlikely would be to make your login password more difficult (and longer). I often suggest using passphrases, using at least 25 characters. (millions of tries won't get there, when there would be more than 10^24 combinations. (My math is probably not quite there, but it will be a large number :cool: ). Good first step will be to change your filevault unlock code to a code different from your admin login. Most users that I work with use the same password for both....
25 characters? Now that would take trillions of years or maybe billions if a "super" computer is used. From what I know over 16 characters is overkill but why not. Windows Hello PINs only need 4 characters, then again it's like with iOS where it locks after a few attempts and stays locked.

blizzforte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2020
There is another concern I have. Is macOS more "immune" to hackers and software keyloggers than Windows? I know that Antivirus software can prevent these things and they work well on Windows, but how is it on Mac? Is their effect limited on Mac or is it unnecessary to use them? There are a lot of people using macOS so hackers would also prioritize it together with Windows and program viruses and spyware for it. That would really be bad for keeping passwords safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.