Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
So this is probably a question I’ll get laughed at for asking, but is there an alternative to Proton on MacOS for playing Windows games on Mac?

Linux has this application and paired with Steam it works wonders (for the most part). But when I try to find a way to do this on my MacBook, I find that MacOS just doesn’t have Proton at all. I’d rather not use anything like WINE or GamingOnMac since those are more spotty with trying to play games on them.

Please, tell me if there is anything else I can use to play Windows games on MacOS.

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
There is https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover , but compatibility is limited.

On Linux they added so many extension to Vulkan to make it compatible with DirectX behaviours, they revived old techs that should be dead just to improve compatibility.
However on macOS Apple couldn't care less about DirectX and compatibility with old an unused DirectX features, and they don't care about making easy to map DirectX on Metal either.

Reactions: Irishman

Open-Source-Norange

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2021
There is https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover , but compatibility is limited.

On Linux they added so many extension to Vulkan to make it compatible with DirectX behaviours, they revived old techs that should be dead just to improve compatibility.
However on macOS Apple couldn't care less about DirectX and compatibility with old an unused DirectX features, and they don't care about making easy to map DirectX on Metal either.
DANG, that sucks to hear :<

I've really been wanting to try to expand my gaming options on my Mac since my Steam library has slim pickings for game options, and even slimmer ones when considering the ones WITH MacOS compatibility cannot run because they are 32 bit.

I'll definitely consider Crossover, at the very least, but this is disheartening. Why the heck has Apple just languished with gamers but not with artsy or tech types?

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
DANG, that sucks to hear :<

I've really been wanting to try to expand my gaming options on my Mac since my Steam library has slim pickings for game options, and even slimmer ones when considering the ones WITH MacOS compatibility cannot run because they are 32 bit.

I'll definitely consider Crossover, at the very least, but this is disheartening. Why the heck has Apple just languished with gamers but not with artsy or tech types?

The TLDR answer is probably because gamers are historically cheap.

Have you looked at the new Resident Evil Village out for Mac? As of now, it’s only available on Apple’s App Store, but it’s still $39.99 just like the Steam version.

Capcom did it themselves, as a showcase of Apple’s new Metal 3 features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.