Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Can MacOS Server 5.2 be used with client MacOS computers running Catalina or newer?

• Yes Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes Catalina and Big Sur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes Catalina

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Jedi.Master.Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
I am trying to get T1 2019 and T2 2020 iMacs to connect as clients to my El Capitan Server running MacOS Server 5.2.

Extremely frustrating. I am hundreds of hours into this, and have tried so many things.

Is this even possible?

Jedi.Master.Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
I had a T1 2019 working with MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and then the next day it just spun indefinitely.

Jedi.Master.Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
The login and password work and if I use admin or guest to login locally I can bind to a test account and access the server. So it’s a software issue.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
How many Macs do you need authentication for? JumpCloud has a free tier for up to 10 users/computers that gives you access to all their features.

Jedi.Master.Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
I have about 32 machines. I really want users to have menu bars saved/customized and have home folders stored on my 8tb server iMac.

I’ll pay. I’d pay a grand easy, if it was stable.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have about 32 machines. I really want users to have menu bars saved/customized and have home folders stored on my 8tb server iMac.

I’ll pay. I’d pay a grand easy, if it was stable.

If you are trying to bind using basic Open Directory, that is achievable with older versions of Server. It is a manual process to bind them and the later versions of macOS will not allow roaming home folders.

If you are trying to manage the later versions of macOS with Profile Manager, then you will need to upgrade the server to at least 5.11.1 (soon to be 5.12) on Big Sur. From there, you can create shares that map upon login but I do not believe roaming profiles is still supported due to the increased login times.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
From there, you can create shares that map upon login but I do not believe roaming profiles is still supported due to the increased login times.
Back when Gigabit Ethernet provided the same throughput as your average HDD startup disk, network home folders or roaming profiles made sense. macOS is very much no longer optimized for low storage throughput. Just browsing an SMB shared folder with more than 50-60 items in it is an exercise in patience in many cases.

Reactions: Altemose

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Back when Gigabit Ethernet provided the same throughput as your average HDD startup disk, network home folders or roaming profiles made sense. macOS is very much no longer optimized for low storage throughput. Just browsing an SMB shared folder with more than 50-60 items in it is an exercise in patience in many cases.
That is why a lot of enterprise Windows environments have foregone roaming profiles in favor of policy enforced folder redirection.

Jedi.Master.Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
If you are trying to bind using basic Open Directory, that is achievable with older versions of Server. It is a manual process to bind them and the later versions of macOS will not allow roaming home folders.

If you are trying to manage the later versions of macOS with Profile Manager, then you will need to upgrade the server to at least 5.11.1 (soon to be 5.12) on Big Sur. From there, you can create shares that map upon login but I do not believe roaming profiles is still supported due to the increased login times.
"the later versions of macOS will not allow roaming home folders" meaning no matter what version of server is running Big Sur clients won't allow home folders? If so damn. I so hope there is some way to make this work. I have tried numerous things and my brain is going mush... LOL

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
"the later versions of macOS will not allow roaming home folders" meaning no matter what version of server is running Big Sur clients won't allow home folders? If so damn. I so hope there is some way to make this work. I have tried numerous things and my brain is going mush... LOL
Could you create a shared folder and force it to map on login that way each user has a default network drive?

Jedi.Master.Dre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
Could you create a shared folder and force it to map on login that way each user has a default network drive?
Through finder > Network, users can access their home folder on the "server" but students are often absent-minded and save things on the desktop, then move "client" imacs the next class... hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.