Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grafiksol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Regret I have a quite convoluted issue, trying to run MacOSX High Sierra on a MacMini along with server.app version 5.4, in order to preserve the services that have been removed in server.app version 5.5 and later. I own (via the App Store) a later version of server.app, so the store is quite happy to let me download earlier versions. However, with any running version of MacOSX High Sierra later than 13.3, the App Store will only let me download server.app version 5.6.X, which is missing the services I need. And the only High Sierra installer I have (or have been able to locate) installs version 13.6. So, what I really need to find is either a copy of server.app 5.4 (which will run on High Sierra 13.6) or a High Sierra installer that only installs version 13.3. I clearly know this is a strange post and request, but if anyone could point me to server.app 5.4 or High Sierra 13.3 installer, I would be most grateful. Or if anyone would be willing to "send" me server.app 5.4? It would not be a licensing violation since I do actually own the product...am just unable to get the version I actually need.
Thanks so much for any consideration and/or suggestions.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Mac server seems to be phasing out year by year! Luckily in most home network smart routers have picked up slack and have many more services in some of higher models smart NAS!

grafiksol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Mac server seems to be phasing out year by year! Luckily in most home network smart routers have picked up slack and have many more services in some of higher models smart NAS!
Thank you for that suggestion, which obviously is a possible solution. However if possible I prefer as many running services as possible "combined" rather than having multiple services on different devices. Will most definitely consider that approach, but will in the meantime keep researching...

grafiksol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
Am going to mark this issue resolved...as hours of research and testing has revealed that Apple's published details as well as user's comments and experience are not correct. It seems that all services except file sharing (which has been moved to the MacOSX core) and FTP are till functional and available up MacOS server.app version 5.6.3 (not version 5.4 as documented). And version 5.6.3 (which I already had, having licensed access to all versions from 5.8 and lower) runs just fine on MacOSX High Sierra. Thus, bingo...problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.