Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myitrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
I need to write a very simple shell script that will check if the system is configured to enforce multi-factor authentication.

To verify that the system is configured to enforce multi-factor authentication, run the following commands:

/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPConfigurationProfileDataType | /usr/bin/grep enforceSmartCard

If the results do not show "enforceSmartCard=1", this is a finding.

I created this very simple script, but I am pretty sure there is a more effective, elegant and efficient way to achieve the same result.

Basically if it was you, what kind of modifications would you apply to the script below to achieve the same results?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

#!/bin/zsh

myVAR=`/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPConfigurationProfileDataType | /usr/bin/grep enforceSmartCard`

if [ $myVAR = "enforceSmartCard=1" ]
then
echo "The system is configured to enforce multi-factor authentication"
else
echo "The system is not configured to enforce multi-factor authentication"
fi

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Here's one way:
Code:
echo "The system is $(system_profiler SPConfigurationProfileDataType | grep -q enforceSmartCard=1 || printf "not ")configured to enforce multi-factor authentication"

I think it's ok to assume that system_profiler and grep will be in $PATH so you don't need the /usr/sbin/ or /usr/bin/ parts.

For if then, I usually put them on the same line (with a semicolon before then).

Use [code] and [/code] for code blocks in forum posts.

grep returns a non-zero status if it cannot find the string, which means it can be used in an if then like this:

Code:
if system_profiler SPConfigurationProfileDataType | grep -q "enforceSmartCard=1" ; then
	echo "The system is configured to enforce multi-factor authentication"
else
	echo "The system is not configured to enforce multi-factor authentication"
fi

Last edited:
Reactions: inkhorn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.