Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
It may have something to do with Apple File System. So far, that system is case-sensitive, whereas HFS+ is case-insensitive by default. Apple has not disclosed whether they will keep this as the default in the future. A lowercase username is simply conventional on Unix systems, especially on file systems that are case-sensitive.

Not only
conventional it is mandatory unless you go your of your way to force it despite the multi line warning explaining why it a bad idea to do it when using adduser or useradd on a *nix system. Shocking as well after all these years they finally did the right thing and went case sensitive on file names. No more warnings that This is the same as this when renaming in the GUI.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not only conventional it is mandatory unless you go your of your way to force it despite the multi line warning explaining why it a bad idea to do it when using adduser or useradd on a *nix system. Shocking as well after all these years they finally did the right thing and went case sensitive on file names. No more warnings that This is the same as this when renaming in the GUI.

Why is it the ‘right’ thing? As far as I know, the enforcement of case-sensitivity in file systems came to be as a technical optimisation many years ago. A casing mismatch can affect interoperability and security on such a system, hence the recommendation to keep usernames and directory names lowercase. This is potentially a problem with account servers, hence why it is a recommendation on OS X as well, despite the fact that the host system itself does not need it.

I actually favour case-insensitive file systems. I like the added convenience, i.e. being able to type the name of a file without having to care about the case. I also think that having two files/directories with the same name in the same location is unnecessarily problematic.

I am guessing that a switch to a case-sensitive file system will break a lot of (older) software. I don’t really see any tangible benefits that would justify this transition. A case-sensitive file system is already an option for those that want it.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Why is it the ‘right’ thing? As far as I know, the enforcement of case-sensitivity in file systems came to be as a technical optimisation many years ago. A casing mismatch can affect interoperability and security on such a system, hence the recommendation to keep usernames and directory names lowercase. This is potentially a problem with account servers, hence why it is a recommendation on OS X as well, despite the fact that the host system itself does not need it.

I actually favour case-insensitive file systems. I like the added convenience, i.e. being able to type the name of a file without having to care about the case. I also think that having two files/directories with the same name in the same location is unnecessarily problematic.

I am guessing that a switch to a case-sensitive file system will break a lot of (older) software. I don’t really see any tangible benefits that would justify this transition. A case-sensitive file system is already an option for those that want it.

Apple is meant to be "it just works". Having a case-sensitive file system by default for general users will be a huge problem. The average user already struggle, having them be careful over the use of capitalization is not something that's user friendly.

I can't see Apple launching APFS as case-sensitive by default.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Quick solution.
Open terminal and type following

cd ..
sudo mv oldname Newname
No, that only changes the folder name. It does nothing about changing the user account name, which is really the subject of this thread.
If you simply change the home folder name, the next time you restart your Mac, you will see a new home user folder is created, with the same old name. Your user account is set to defaults, with everything that you WERE using remaining in the old, renamed user folder.

Bazu

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
No, that only changes the folder name. It does nothing about changing the user account name, which is really the subject of this thread.
If you simply change the home folder name, the next time you restart your Mac, you will see a new home user folder is created, with the same old name. Your user account is set to defaults, with everything that you WERE using remaining in the old, renamed user folder.

For me it automatically changed the user name and particular user folder destination in advanced account options.

TrustAugustus

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2017
What worked for me: I did as #29 Bazu said and in terminal:

cd ..
sudo mv oldname Newname

then I did what apple said here

Then reselected my previously renamed home folder. All golden. Thanks for everyones input.

Promiceus

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Beware. This method of adding and removing users is not safe at all. We've tried it more than 10 times with different tweaks but ALWAYS the sharing and permissions for some folders where a mess. We probably would not notice if we did not have to install tons of audio plugins, but these attempts revealed the problem so we gave up eventually.

So, for example some plugins failed to install presets. Why? Because '~/Application support/plugin folder' (and various other folders) had no access for current user, some access to 'wheel' user... and - for example - the right to read and/or wright for a 'sharing only' account! The one that supposedly only grants access for file sharing on the network and isn't even present on the machine otherwise! Or sometimes it was referring to temporary 'admin' user that was already deleted. Or otherwise - we could not figure out a pattern. But ALWAYS the thing did not go smoothly, always there was a mess with users and their rights. Needless to say 'first aid' in Disk Utility (that supposedly includes fixing of permissions) did not do anything, as if system was 'sure' everything was OK.

If not for those audio plugins we probably would seat on that bomb happily, because why would one even check such things otherwise? Apparently all standard apps where OK at least to some degree and we did not do a lot of other tests, but not one plugin from several different developers did not work and folder permissions where a complete mess.

So beware! The less 3rd party apps you use the more chances you have something broken under the hood as well, and you just don't know, waiting for the trouble to find you somewhere later...

Ten54

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I clean install an older version then upgrade to Sierra from Applications. The Capital letter remains intact

I once tried what Skydoor Blue did and it messed everything up and had to re-install from scratch again. I suppose things work differently for different people

I have just upgraded to High Sierra and went through some unnecessary steps. HS would not install over Lion so I had to install Sierra over that and then finally High Sierra. I could have just clean installed El Capitan then HS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.