Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d_an_2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Germany
Hey, I have a 5K iMac which was running OS X El Capitan and Windows 7 (Bootcamp). I upgraded yesterday to macOS Sierra and now I can't boot into Windows 7. It keeps restarting and want's to start the repair assistant. When I try to launch the repair assistant, I can't do so because my keyboard and mouse won't react. I can't move the mouse or type anything. Any ideas how I can get Windows up and running again? Thanks! :(

Last edited:

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Same here, about to take my mini to a client for a day's work and Windows 10 won't load. I'm getting the spinning dot wheel on load and then just a black screen. Any ideas?
[doublepost=1474590581][/doublepost]After 4 hard reboots windows 10 has loaded. Thank god.

ac2334

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
Anyone? Any ideas? :(

Maybe I can be of help - I just upgraded my unsupported MBP mid-2009 to Sierra and I was running bootcamp.

From what I've learned, if you are hoping to keep bootcamp working through an upgrade install you must make sure that you keep your partition sizes the same - which would be the case if you upgraded without formatting. Following my upgrade, booting to bootcamp showed "system files missing" or some similar error. The way I fixed it is to download a utility called Gdisk. If you can download that program then reply here, I will help you further..

Gdisk can be downloaded here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/

I'll be checking this thread and will reply.

iPaulie81

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
So this is my biggest fear about upgrading to Sierra with its new file system. Im currently running el capital with a Windows 7 bootcamp partition. So if I just run through the upgrade via the app store i should not have a problem?

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
So this is my biggest fear about upgrading to Sierra with its new file system. Im currently running el capital with a Windows 7 bootcamp partition. So if I just run through the upgrade via the app store i should not have a problem?

The new file system is not present now, and in the near future too, it's still under development.

alanlau007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Irvine

My Late 2013 13inch Macbook Pro runs mostly fine under bootcamp with Windows 10 after upgrading to Sierra.
No loading issue. However, in Windows 10, now I can't read/access the macOS partition.

d_an_2014

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Germany
Maybe I can be of help - I just upgraded my unsupported MBP mid-2009 to Sierra and I was running bootcamp.

From what I've learned, if you are hoping to keep bootcamp working through an upgrade install you must make sure that you keep your partition sizes the same - which would be the case if you upgraded without formatting. Following my upgrade, booting to bootcamp showed "system files missing" or some similar error. The way I fixed it is to download a utility called Gdisk. If you can download that program then reply here, I will help you further..

Gdisk can be downloaded here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/

I'll be checking this thread and will reply.

Hey, sorry for my late reply. As for my issue, I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 via BootCamp. I know this shouldn't have been the solution to it, but it wasn't a big issue for my, as I didn't have any important data on the Windows partition, but sure an unessary hassle... Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.