Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
Hi I was happy to find a source where a Sierra installer could be downloaded from http://

InstallOS.dmg

Avoiding the hassles of expired certificates and refusals to download from older macOS systems.

Started the installer and after the necessary legal stuff, the installed bypassed the step choice where to install and wanted to install only on the current system disk.
I found no way to bring it to install where I need it.

Has someone got another source, where i could find an installer (at best Mojave) that can be downloaded withour requiring current certificates and installs where I want?

Thank you.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

Attachments

• osxiso.command.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 32

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
Yep. You can use this to create an ISO and then burn the ISO with Balena Etcher onto USB. This requires the APP to be in Applications folder.
I have also attached the command.
You can use SUS Inspector or MrMacintosh's link for full installers. Another USB maker from @Dayo here
Not a solution:
Mac users can download theses files from the App Store.
That is exactly what users of old Versions (after a network restore) cannot do.

The links From Mr Macintosh lead to the store or are httpS:// which do not work with expired certificates.
And it's exactly the Sierra link from Mr Macintosh (the first one without httpS://) that I used and did not let me chose the disk where to install.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
Use this tool to download the Apps in the Applications folder:
The command I linked in my first post bypasses certificates requirements when creating ISO.
Mist does not start on Lion.

That is the challenge: The network recovery gives you Lion...

It's not for me, I personally have all installers at home, but if you want to help someone alone with his Internet-recovered Mac, how to do a recovery from those outdated OS?

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
If you have all the installers why don’t you use the command I linked?
it's NOT for me !
How can you help a distant person who has performed the internet recovery into Lion to get a decent OS?
The internet recovery into an OS without valid certificates is an aberration from Apple.
You just get stuck in front of a mountain of problems.
Why not provide the last valid OS for the given hardware?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I am still struggling to understand your issue. Are you trying to help remote user who can only do Internet recovery and the only choice is Lion?

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
I am still struggling to understand your issue. Are you trying to help remote user who can only do Internet recovery and the only choice is Lion?
Yes. Internet recovery does not let you any choice: you get what was delivered with the first day of the hardware.
For 10 years old devices you get Lion or Mountain Lion both with expired certificates and no way to get into the App Store or to download a useful installer.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
What Mac is this? Can it use a USB installer for booting from it or does it need a DVD?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmmm.... You started this thread with Sierra. Why not make that work? Much easier results than installing Lion, then trying to move on from there.
Yes, the Sierra installer does not work, when you try the downloaded app.
But Mr. Macintosh has a fix (actually multiple steps for that) and you will end up with a bootable, usable installer...
(I tried the steps a few days ago. You can have a working installer after following the steps)
You (and your distant friend) will have a much quicker result, instead of installing Lion (then trying to go forward from that )

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
  • Option-Command-R: When you press and hold these three keys at startup, macOS Recovery might offer the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
What Mac is this? Can it use a USB installer for booting from it or does it need a DVD?
The point is first to be able to download the stuff to make that USB installer.
https:// cannot be used since the certificates are invalid.
Sierra being the latest dowload reachable without encryption.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
And, as pointed out in my post above - that Sierra installer currently has a known problem, even if you can successfully download it. You need to fix the installer before you can use it to make a bootable USB. The link in my post #11 explains how to do that.
Another solution would be to help your "remote friend" by making a USB installer, and send one that works (because you tested it) to possibly help out your friend. I have done that a time or two here, even for strangers. And, helping that way can be less stressful than complaining about what apple might or might not be doing, which doesn't help your friend at all.

Reactions: Bigwaff

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2022
And, as pointed out in my post above - that Sierra installer currently has a known problem, even if you can successfully download it. You need to fix the installer before you can use it to make a bootable USB. The link in my post #11 explains how to do that.
Thank you for that. IMHO out of reach for the reguar non computer sawwy Mac user.
Another solution would be to help your "remote friend" by making a USB installer, and send one that works (because you tested it) to possibly help out your friend.
That will probably be the best advice: get the help of someone else with a working Mac to make an USB installer.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Please follow this to create a USB installer from Recovery console where Sierra has failed installing:
For High Sierra follow @MrMacintoshBlog solution here:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.