Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XxUnkn0wnxX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Hi, Since the update I have been having some miner issues. now I would usually Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLS but when I typed in resetpassword command in recovery mode it gave me a new reset password window with no option to select drives just my account username. there was no option anywhere to reset ACLS.

also the following command would not work either:

/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

the "repair_packages" command seems to be gone as well.

does any one know how to Reset ACL & Fix Perms on macOS Sierra?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Repair_packages has never reset home folder permissions. Why do you need to reset them, are you sure that this is where the problem lies?

Home permissions can be repaired with a separate tool, also in Recovery:
Code:
repairhomepermissions

Last edited:

XxUnkn0wnxX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Repair_packages has never reset home folder permissions. Why do you need to reset them, are you sure that this is where the problem lies?

Code:
repairhomepermissions

I was asking about 2 questions in one

/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume / -- usually fixes issues related to system file permissions

and the Reset Home Folder & ACLS usually fixes issues regarding permissions and Access Lists related to my user account.

so what I am asking how do I Repair or Reset my Home Folder/User account Permissions and ACLS

repairhomepermissions - does this also reset ACLS?

and how do I repair my System File Permissions like back from Yosemite could in disk utility but then replaces with
/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume / - in El Capitan but now gone in Sierra.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
so what I am asking how do I Repair or Reset my Home Folder/User account Permissions and ACLS

repairhomepermissions - does this also reset ACLS?

I don’t know, try it. The home directory doesn’t need the ACLs for functioning. All directories in the root of the home directory have an ACL entry for ‘group:everyone deny delete’, which prevents yourself from deleting these directories. For the rest, all you need is read, write and (where relevant) execute permissions and ownership over the directories and files in your home directory and this is what resetpassword and repairhomepermissions are supposed to fix.

and how do I repair my System File Permissions like back from Yosemite could in disk utility but then replaces with
/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume / - in El Capitan but now gone in Sierra.

You don’t. You weren’t supposed to use /usr/libexec/repair_packages either. Apple does not want you to mess with System directories anymore, hence System Integrity Protection. If you do, then it is your responsibility to maintain the permissions. Other than reinstalling the system from Recovery (without formatting your partition and deleting your files), there is no other option anymore.

You still have not said what the problem is and why a permissions reset may help. Resetting permissions is not required for troubleshooting.

Last edited:

XxUnkn0wnxX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
my WindowServer keeps crashing every day due to HTML5 video playback via Safari thought reseting perms in relation to that system process would resolve said issue + I use custom home-brew on my Mac, EG custom version of bash, git, python openssl other then the default system ver as I run custom services and scripts.

I usually tamper with sudoers, hosts files in /etc as well as my bash profile in my home directory, may have thrown something off in there.

in the past after a full system Perms Reset, Home Directory and ACLS would solve issues as I would also mess with perms every now and then and chown some system directories in the past when I wanted to force use different versions of python, openssl etc..

ST-NGFF2013-C

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2018

Code:
repairhomepermissions
This worked for me on Big Sur after I accidentally used a wrong ‘cp -a’ command. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.