Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GiddeliMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Screenshot+2017-05-30+18.18.32.png

I saved the files shown above on a USB drive that has been ExFAT-formatted. The files were saved to it while I was using a Windows 10 PC. After I saved them, I tried to open them on my iMac (macOS Sierra Version 10.12.5). I could not. And I noticed the boxed question marks.

I deleted the files, re-formatted the USB drive as ExFAT, and plugged the USB into the Windows 10 PC, saving the files to the USB drive again.

When I plugged the USB back into my iMac to view the files, I saw the boxed question marks again.

Could it have something to do with the way Windows 10 is saving the files to the USB drive? Or is it something with the way macOS Sierra is reading the files? Is ExFAT still a good format to use for USBs used on Windows and macOS?

Note the "exec" thumbnails that Finder is showing me. Could that be a helpful clue?

I hope so, because I am clueless about this...

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
ExFat has quite a few issues when files on such is moved back to the Mac. Many macOS specific files are destroyed. I suggest not using it. I don't have any other solutions other than to compress your files using RAR or 7Zip before copying back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.