Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
I heard that the new macOS Sierra has a new File System? Is that true? Not the Not the HFS+ anymore.

But after installation of macOS Sierra, there seems to be just HFS+ as usual. Shows "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Hared that is should be easy to extend an existing partition. But how?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I heard that the new macOS Sierra has a new File System? Is that true? Not the Not the HFS+ anymore.

But after installation of macOS Sierra, there seems to be just HFS+ as usual. Shows "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Hared that is should be easy to extend an existing partition. But how?
The new file system wasn't included in the initial release.

Everything you need to know about the new Apple File System
Apple says the new Apple File System will be available in 2017, but the company won’t be more specific just yet.

Reactions: cerberusss

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
At this point its unclear if APFS will be made available for Sierra.

Given the complexity of the APFS and the fact that its in the alpha stage I won't be using at least for 2 or 3 years. I'm not confident Apple can make it work reliably in such a short time frame.

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I wouldn't try it either. The current HFS+ is actually quite good and stable. Let the kids do the beta testing :)

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
@cerberusss If it ain't broken, don't fix it. :D
But actually, it's pretty broken. You just don't know it.

I've been protecting my family photos by adding par2 checksums. Why? With the large amounts of data today, there is a real chance of files being damaged. New filesystems like ZFS have builtin checksumming. HFS+ doesn't know about this.

And there are plenty of documented cases where HFS+ gets the mixed up. Try and check the file system with Disk Utility for errors. Make a backup first, because sometimes, it'll find errors and try to fix them, and end up in an unfixable state.

But you don't have to believe me. Many years ago, Steve Jobs announced that Snow Leopard would support ZFS. That didn't pan out, but apparently they started with their own filesystems APFS in secret.

Last edited:

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I've been protecting my family photos by adding par2 checksums. Why? With the large amounts of data today, there is a real chance of files being damaged. New filesystems like ZFS have builtin checksumming. HFS+ doesn't know about this.

It was unfortunate that Apple didn't implement ZFS in the Snow Leopard like they planned. According to current documentation APFS only supports metadata checksum, I'm not sure if they are planning to include further support in lated date. At the moment it seems ZFS has much better changes to detect file corruption compared to APFS.

I suspect the yearly release schedule is one of the reasons it took so long to Apple design new filesystem. While I would have preferred ZFS APFS does have promise provided Apple implements it properly.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I suspect the yearly release schedule is one of the reasons it took so long to Apple design new filesystem. While I would have preferred ZFS APFS does have promise provided Apple implements it properly.

They started working on this only a few years ago. The sudden rush suggests that Apple is definitely up to something which they haven’t told us yet. Checksumming is certainly on Apple’s radar, but it does not seem to be a high priority yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.