Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
UPDATE: Sonoma 14.1 has solved all issues mentioned here.

---------

I own a couple of 2020 Mac Minis equipped with M1 processors. However, only one of them currently has Sonoma installed. This particular Mac has its storage and RAM fully maximized. To prevent any potential issues, I always wipe out the HDD and perform a fresh installation. However, despite these precautions, I must admit that it has been causing me headaches lately, experiencing problems in areas that have never occurred with previous macOS releases. Here is a list of tasks that frequently fail, sporadically happening during use.

1. Copy and paste - Sometimes, when I try to paste a previously copied text, it doesn't work on the first try. It can be quite frustrating.

2. Dragging a file from one window to another - Whenever I drag a file, it unexpectedly opens a finder window, even though I have both windows side by side. It interrupts my workflow and can be quite inconvenient.

3. Saving progress - Although the command shows that I have successfully saved a document I'm working on, it doesn't actually save it. I have to repeat the process multiple times or even use "Save As" just to ensure that it is truly saved. It's time-consuming and unreliable.

4. The Missing File - I encounter an issue where I can see a file inside a folder, but when I try to select it within an app or upload it to the cloud, the window that appears doesn't display the file. I have to restart the Finder or even reboot the system to see the files again. This is incredibly annoying and disrupts my work.

5. Stage Manager Dance - Whenever I move from one desktop screen to another using Mission Control, windows start opening and closing without any reason. It's sporadic, but if you rely on Mission Control daily, this issue becomes a constant struggle. It hampers productivity and is incredibly frustrating.

6. Third Party Utilities - It seems that either Apple is intentionally making it difficult for developers to create tools for enhancing the macOS experience, or the security measures simply prevent third-party utilities from functioning properly. I personally rely on various utilities such as CleanShotX, Unclutter, Dropover, Theine, AppCleaner, Pasty, PopClip, Lasso, iStats Menu, Bartender 5, among others, and all of them struggle to keep up with Sonoma. Despite updates that initially seem to fix the issues, they eventually start encountering problems again. It's disheartening to see these useful utilities struggle to function properly.

I'm experiencing some issues with the latest iOS update as well. I believe Apple deliberately made these changes, rather than them being accidental bugs. It's unusual for me to encounter so many problems with a system update, which leads me to believe that there might be some underlying issues between certain background processes, such as AI training or iCloud synchronization. It's hard to say for sure. If these issues persist and aren't addressed, I might have to consider downgrading to a previous version.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
not having any of those issues, on either of my silicon macs (i don't use stage manager, and the only 3rd-party app i use in your list is bartender, which has been updated for sonoma, and works fine here).

might be worth troubleshooting (and discussing on the forum). that 'sky is falling' thread title is way over the top....

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
that 'sky is falling' thread title is way over the top....
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. Why comment if you're not offering help or sharing a similar experience? You have every right to be a fan and explain why Apple is your favorite company whenever you want, but don't dismiss a guy with 25 years of experience fixing Apple computers (both hardware and system) by saying his findings are untrue or irrelevant, or worse, labeling it as a fearmongering post. Understand that after trying every troubleshooting method possible, I decided to share this in case others (obviously not you) are facing the same issues. Enjoy your flawless Mac, but please understand that this post isn't directed at you.

Reactions: Idgit

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Of those you listed, I only experience point 1 sporadically (the copy-paste not working right away), but that's not new on Sonoma for me, it has been here for at least 2 if not 3 major releases. Never managed to fix it. The rest I cannot reproduce.

Third party utilities: of those you listed, Bartender and iStat Menus work perfectly. Zero issues.

Just as an additional data point. Not doubting you're having those issues, but I still think it's important to share information when someone is not having them.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. Why comment if you're not offering help or sharing a similar experience? You have every right to be a fan and explain why Apple is your favorite company whenever you want, but don't dismiss a guy with 25 years of experience fixing Apple computers (both hardware and system) by saying his findings are untrue or irrelevant, or worse, labeling it as a fearmongering post. Understand that after trying every troubleshooting method possible, I decided to share this in case others (obviously not you) are facing the same issues. Enjoy your flawless Mac, but please understand that this post isn't directed at you.
ha. what? what shoe? why post hysterically, instead of reasonably... especially if you have '25 years fixing apple computers' (i did 17 years of freelance mac support in nyc. just mentioning!). if you're a true tech, you should know better (imho anyway).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i wanted to add... i don't mean to simply give you a hard time. am just saying, if you have issues... report them, discuss them. the people who live on a forum like this tend to be power users; they can determine for themselves if an OS is ready for them... or not. so, apologies if i've been a bit difficult (i seem to be so often on the forum). 🙏

Reactions: chabig

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
To prevent any potential issues, I always wipe out the HDD and perform a fresh installation.
A power user with “25 years of experience fixing Apple computers” should know that reinstalling the operating system is a waste of time. Every installation of Ventura and Sonoma is the same as every other installation, down to the last bit. It’s architected that way.

I don’t doubt that you’re seeing the problems you described. But any such problems are likely due to something in your user account, as others aren’t seeing the same problems.

I’m with the others. Let us try to help you find solutions instead of making blanket statements.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it. Why comment if you're not offering help or sharing a similar experience?

Because this is an Apple forum, so you'll not be surprised to see the fanboys rush to Apple's defense. Sonoma has issues, yet on every thread here you'll find someone saying something along the lines of "lol what issues? you're just using it wrong".

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Because this is an Apple forum, so you'll not be surprised to see the fanboys rush to Apple's defense. Sonoma has issues, yet on every thread here you'll find someone saying something along the lines of "lol what issues? you're just using it wrong".
at least i know you're not referring to me lol. am not a 'fanboy'; i have my own bones to pick with apple. but reporting a contrary report is exactly one of the things we do here; if we all just agree, how dull would this place be?...

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Fonzie once said POWER several times during that sitcom sho win the 70's.
the over the top headline reminded me of that!

Sonoma has much POWER!
just most users here think the OS is buggy while I prefer Monterey for some reason.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
at least i know you're not referring to me lol. am not a 'fanboy'; i have my own bones to pick with apple. but reporting a contrary report is exactly one of the things we do here; if we all just agree, how dull would this place be?...

A contrary report does nothing to help OP.

But from the opening comment I am not at all surprised to see it was you posting that.

• Love
Reactions: I WAS the one

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
A contrary report does nothing to help OP.
It does help in the way that they now know it's not a problem that every user has, and they can search for differences, settings, whatever. It also helps other who don't have Sonoma installed yet, to know those problems aren't problems that everyone has, so they can then better decide if they want to update or not.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Fonzie once said POWER several times during that sitcom sho win the 70's.
the over the top headline reminded me of that!

Sonoma has much POWER!
just most users here think the OS is buggy while I prefer Monterey for some reason.

based on the poll on this very forum, it's pretty decent actually. still, 138 votes; this represents the forum, and has little to do with the world-at-large (where there are more than 138 sonoma users) 🤔

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 9.35.06 AM.png

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
based on the poll on this very forum, it's pretty decent actually. still, 138 votes; this represents the forum, and has little to do with the world-at-large (where there are more than 138 sonoma users)
nice, I forgot how i voted or even voted!
overall Sonoma is very good.
thanks for the reply!

(typing this message on a mba_2010 snow leopard.)

Reactions: fisherking

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
thanks! and i thought it was ok to post 'this is working for me' when someone says 'this isn't working for me'. guess the only posts that are ok here are the ones you personally approve of... 🤔

"Doctor, it hurts when I move my leg like this"

"I have no issues. Have you tried not moving it like that?"

That's what you sound like.

It does help in the way that they now know it's not a problem that every user has, and they can search for differences, settings, whatever. It also helps other who don't have Sonoma installed yet, to know those problems aren't problems that everyone has, so they can then better decide if they want to update or not.

Of course it's not an issue everyone has, if it was it would be all over tech blogs.

Those who say "I have no issues, stop being dramatic" is not helpful. They assume OP is just creating the post for attention or clickbait.

• Love

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
"Doctor, it hurts when I move my leg like this"

"I have no issues. Have you tried not moving it like that?"

That's what you sound like.

Of course it's not an issue everyone has, if it was it would be all over tech blogs.

Those who say "I have no issues, stop being dramatic" is not helpful. They assume OP is just creating the post for attention or clickbait.
perhaps read my comment again. the OP makes an 'absolute' statement, & i corrected that. otherwise, it's all anecdotes and opinions (except when it's fact).

you have your opinion, and (drumroll), i have mine. and both are ok.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
perhaps read my comment again. the OP makes an 'absolute' statement, & i corrected that. otherwise, it's all anecdotes and opinions (except when it's fact).

you have your opinion, and (drumroll), i have mine. and both are ok.

You didn't correct anything. OP considers themselves a power user and thinks Sonoma isn't ready for them. I'd say the biggest mistake in this thread is a power user upgrading to an OS that hasn't even had a major update yet, but I digress.

The damage is done, now OP needs to analyze their situation and decide whether or not to downgrade. If they have a backup made before the upgrade it's easy (I hope they do).

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You didn't correct anything. OP considers themselves a power user and thinks Sonoma isn't ready for them. I'd say the biggest mistake in this thread is a power user upgrading to an OS that hasn't even had a major update yet, but I digress.

The damage is done, now OP needs to analyze their situation and decide whether or not to downgrade. If they have a backup made before the upgrade it's easy (I hope they do).

"macOS Sonoma is not ready for power users yet."​

that's an 'absolute' statement, as opposed to, say, "sonoma is not ready for me".

so yes, i corrected it. sonoma may have issues for the OP, but that doesn't speak to everyone's experience, and, as i already pointed out, macrumors is heavily populated with 'power users'. most (according to an admittedly-small poll) would disagree with the OP. anyway, am always happy to help!

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

"macOS Sonoma is not ready for power users yet."​

that's an 'absolute' statement, as opposed to, say, "sonoma is not ready for me".

so yes, i corrected it.

I completely share OP's sentiment, so what they're saying isn't wild. Sonoma is definitely not ready for power users, as I mentioned in other threads.

IT professionals also agree. Apple Configurator is still broken on Sonoma, which impacts how they are able to manage MDM (work devices).

You may continue to deny this reality as you often do, but this is a fact.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I completely share OP's sentiment, so what they're saying isn't wild. Sonoma is definitely not ready for power users, as I mentioned in other threads.

IT professionals also agree. Apple Configurator is still broken on Sonoma, which impacts how they are able to manage MDM (work devices).

You may continue to deny this reality as you often do, but this is a fact.
a fact requires real-world evidence. you agree with the OP? that's 2 people.

which IT professionals? and define 'power users'; i'd say it's most of the people on this forum, macusers who are deeply involved in the OS, the hardware... and invest time on these forums, discussing, questioning... solving issues.

it's fine that you share the 'OP's sentiment'. but if you're going to make these broad statements, give us evidence.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
i wanted to add... i don't mean to simply give you a hard time. am just saying, if you have issues... report them, discuss them. the people who live on a forum like this tend to be power users; they can determine for themselves if an OS is ready for them... or not. so, apologies if i've been a bit difficult (i seem to be so often on the forum). 🙏
Apologies accepted. No problem, I understand. Trust me, I didn't wake up one morning with the intention to create a list of issues just for my own amusement.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
According to a Reddit post, there's a suggestion that disconnecting the Time Machine Hard Drive and turning off iCloud might resolve most of my issues. However, since my computer is crucial for my work and relies on these features, I'm unable to try it at the moment. Nevertheless, I plan to experiment with it in the future. If this suggestion proves to be true, it might support my assumptions about Apple's potential involvement behind the scenes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.