Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2023
Is anyone else experiencing slow SMB share performance on MacOS Sonoma?
It was running fine on Monterey, but now Finder Thumbnails take several seconds to load and Adobe InDesign also freezes while loading assets. I already made sure it's not a load issue, everything is in the green and I can't reproduce this issue on Windows.

Everything is on the latest version:

Windows Server 2019 with SMB 3.1.1
MacOS M2 Max and 2021 Intel Macbook Pros on Sonoma 14.1.1

SMB Signing is off.
All Devices are on LAN
The server has a throughput of 1.2 GB/s from Windows to Windows

Any other hints are appreciated.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
...and Adobe InDesign also freezes while loading assets.

Just in case: InDesign doesn't officially support Sonoma yet. Many users experience all kind of issues - although mostly related to screen redraw. Although it may not be related to your problems.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Yeah I don't understand how my 4yo mid range Android tablet can list a large smb folder faster than my M1 mini with 16gb RAM. That's just wrong

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Just in case: InDesign doesn't officially support Sonoma yet. Many users experience all kind of issues - although mostly related to screen redraw. Although it may not be related to your problems.

Users report that InDesign screen redraw bugs are now fixed in macOS 14.3 (that is, Apple fixed Sonoma bugs that caused InDesign issues).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.