Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oli2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2023
Have any of you realized that the Windows XP hill (the bliss wallpaper) was shot in Sonoma, California, the same place MacOS Sonoma was named after? Was this purposeful? Maybe Apple is making a tribute to Windows XP? Or possibly their “Get a Mac” ad campaign, which started when XP was still the primary operating system for PCs.

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023
i highly doubt it, i would even wager that a good chunk of the marketing team responsible for these things arent old enough to have even used XP let alone know the history of the bliss wallpaper.

Its more than likely just a coincidence, there are only so many useable place names after all.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Have any of you realized that the Windows XP hill (the bliss wallpaper) was shot in Sonoma, California, the same place MacOS Sonoma was named after? Was this purposeful? Maybe Apple is making a tribute to Windows XP? Or possibly their “Get a Mac” ad campaign, which started when XP was still the primary operating system for PCs.

If the XP wallpaper had been known as Sonoma instead of Bliss, there could be some level of connection there. However, Apple isn't exactly the type of company who would give credit to their main competitor in the OS space. I think Sonoma was just the next entry on their list of California names for Mac OS.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
It is still a great wallpaper. Here it is in my Sonoma VM:

Capto_2023-06-14_14-51-23_.png

I am sure that the connection would have been known within Apple. But that wouldn't matter. It gets a mention on the Wikipedia page for Sonoma County.

Last edited:

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Honestly the XP wallpaper looks better, old and hackneyed as it has become. The Sonoma version looks cartoony

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.