Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreadButter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2022
Hi, I am using a Macbook Air 2014 with BigSur and I run BitDefender.

While browsing archive.org, I opened a .txt file (in safari) and BitDefender popped up with a Trojan.PWS.Agent.SVN in the following directory:

Path: /users/<user>/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/WebKitCache/Version 16/Records/##############/Resource/#################

It states that the file was deleted to “prevent malicious commands from being executed on your device”

I ran BitDefender and it came out clean and out of an abundance of caution (and paranoia), rebooted into Recovery mode and formatted the hard drive.

What would be your take on this? Is it safe to reinstall the OS and just use as normal again? Any other steps I should take? My fear is always that some malicious code or virus installs itself somewhere where a format wont clear it or even in the recovery partition? If that’s a thing? Also could this affect other devices on my network?

Despite my best effort (and because I panic-formatted the macbook), I can’t find the file that infected my device anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
That was most likely a Windows trojan. Bitdefender is overzealous sometimes. :)
As I can’t find on-line any mention of that particular designation (Trojan.PWS.Agent.SVN), you should ask Bitdefender to clarify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.