Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Just been doing a bit of house cleaning and I'm astounded how silly file and library handling has got since Apple picked apart iTunes as a central database for both purchases and local file such as ripped DVD's.
I have quite a few genres I created several years ago but wished to separate some further sorting to make it easier to find films when viewing on an ATV. I have a Mac mini and an external drive with downloads and DVD rips as the database with all the previous genres showing and available in the file info. But for the life of me I can't see how you can add a new genre?

I'm guessing this is another function deletion which Apply thinks is better for humanity? Unless someone knows if we can add genres to the library?

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Genres are read from the metadata embedded in the video files.
I know, if you download the file and run the files off a local database you can edit the meta data the file info dropdown box. Although you used to be able to add new genres within iTunes it appears you now can’t in the TV App. Looks like I’ll have to use another app to edit the metadata direct, not ideal when you have to go back to old school methods from decades ago.
IMG_0353.jpeg

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Unfortunately we do need to use a 3rd party metadata editor.
Thanks for confirming. I guess once you’ve added a new one to a file directly it then shows up in the selection box in the TV app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.