Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

singhs.apps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Hello,

I have been experiencing a peculiar issue with macOS updates for the past year. The auto-download feature for updates is enabled on my MacBook Pro. As soon as the updates are downloaded, I receive a prompt to restart the system. However, upon restarting, my Mac goes into a loop and lands in macOS recovery mode.

To resolve this, I shut down my MacBook Pro and restart it again. After a couple of loops, it boots into macOS properly. Upon checking the macOS info window, I can confirm that the latest version has been installed successfully.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

Hardware: MacBook Pro 16” M1 Max(ed out).

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I have seen similar reports of macOS updates causing boot loops on MacBook Pro M1 Max devices. macOS updates have been causing boot loops. Resetting the NVRAM and SMC, booting into Safe Mode, and reinstalling macOS are potential solutions.
Apple: "The steps to reset NVRAM don't apply to Mac computers with Apple silicon, and aren't needed on those computers."
https://support.apple.com/HT204063
"Reset the SMC of your Mac ... If you have Mac with Apple silicon ... Restart: Choose Apple menu  > Restart. ... No other steps are necessary for Mac computers with Apple silicon."
https://support.apple.com/HT201295

Reactions: singhs.apps

singhs.apps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
I have seen similar reports of macOS updates causing boot loops on MacBook Pro M1 Max devices. macOS updates have been causing boot loops. Resetting the NVRAM and SMC, booting into Safe Mode, and reinstalling macOS are potential solutions.
Thank you for the response.

The weird bit is that the update does go through, though after restarting, the Mac goes into recovery mode = problem with the update (?)

Shutting down and restarting boots into Mac OS proper, and the Mac info shows the latest version of Mac OS installed (that is the version after the update).

Last edited:

AlohaDave0311

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
Hello,

I have been experiencing a peculiar issue with macOS updates for the past year. The auto-download feature for updates is enabled on my MacBook Pro. As soon as the updates are downloaded, I receive a prompt to restart the system. However, upon restarting, my Mac goes into a loop and lands in macOS recovery mode.

To resolve this, I shut down my MacBook Pro and restart it again. After a couple of loops, it boots into macOS properly. Upon checking the macOS info window, I can confirm that the latest version has been installed successfully.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

Hardware: MacBook Pro 16” M1 Max(ed out).
I recently did the last update software on my MacBook. And now, when I go watch any video, it’s so slow now. It’s like watching a video in slow motion. I can hear the video perfectly fine. Never had an issue with any of the previously updates 🤨 Any suggestions???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.