Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzackzadek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Has anybody who uses their Mac for music creation installed the first Developer Beta? If so, which pro music apps/plugins are currently confirmed working?

Here are some that it would be great to pool information on (given that each year it's a toss up if they stay working):

• Logic Pro X
  • UAD Console/Meter & Control Panel
  • Ableton Live
  • XLN Addictive Drums
  • Antares Autotune
  • Native Instruments Komplete
    • Kontakt
    • Massive
    • Reaktor
  • Spitfire Audio Instruments
  • Waves Plugins

And to save folks time in the comments...it goes without saying that this is a developer beta, nothing should assume to work at all, don't install on any computer you rely on for work, not on these developers to support betas, etc etc etc.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
the whole point of the betas is to get the developers on board, so that's not entirely correct
not on these developers to support betas, etc etc etc.
the whole point of the betas is to get developers on board, to get their plugins and apps working with the OS.

anyway, am curious about this as well (am on logic pro). am wondering which plugins will not be running (when i dive in with the public beta).

so yes, this could be a very useful thread...

botiplay

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2022
Logic Pro X macOS Ventura Dev Beta 1 is not launching.

I get the "This app is damaged" error.

mrzackzadek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
Can anyone else confirm this Logic issue is correct on the latest version?

Most of what I’ve read suggests logic fully works….

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ok, here's my hour-one report on the public beta:

logic opens without issue, and (so far) every 3rd-party plugin i tried works. every one. my roli lumi keyboard won't connect (thru bluetooth), but works thru usb (i'll investigate this later).

impressive (and a great relief). will post back later if i have anything else to report, but am happy to be able to dive back into work!

Reactions: Leeleo

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
xgman (on the logicprohelp users forum) resolved the ilok issue like this:

"ilok issue was in VAR/TMP folder where it places temp startup files. Not sure why since there are two other launch agents/daemons places it also places files. But, I was having to reinstall ilok manager on every reboot. I had gotten to the point of placing the install file in login items to remember. But at some point, for the last few days, it has magically started be accessible without reinstalling ilok manager every reboot. in any case, if anyone has ilok manager trouble in ventura, try reinstalling the manager, and opening it without rebooting, and it should load and then see your licenses as normal. I'm on a Studio M1."

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011

"ilok issue was in VAR/TMP folder where it places temp startup files. Not sure why since there are two other launch agents/daemons places it also places files. But, I was having to reinstall ilok manager on every reboot. I had gotten to the point of placing the install file in login items to remember. But at some point, for the last few days, it has magically started be accessible without reinstalling ilok manager every reboot. in any case, if anyone has ilok manager trouble in ventura, try reinstalling the manager, and opening it without rebooting, and it should load and then see your licenses as normal. I'm on a Studio M1."
Nice. Confirming this work around works for me too.

Reactions: fisherking

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Fyi, speaking to Pace about ilok, they say they have successfully tested the software on M1 in Ventura. So not aware of this issue till my ticket I guess. I have given them all info and will keep you guys updated.

ishyaboiabba1

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2022
Highland, CA
Has anybody who uses their Mac for music creation installed the first Developer Beta? If so, which pro music apps/plugins are currently confirmed working?

Here are some that it would be great to pool information on (given that each year it's a toss up if they stay working):

• Logic Pro X
  • UAD Console/Meter & Control Panel
  • Ableton Live
  • XLN Addictive Drums
  • Antares Autotune
  • Native Instruments Komplete
    • Kontakt
    • Massive
    • Reaktor
  • Spitfire Audio Instruments
  • Waves Plugins

And to save folks time in the comments...it goes without saying that this is a developer beta, nothing should assume to work at all, don't install on any computer you rely on for work, not on these developers to support betas, etc etc etc.
Anyone got UAD stuff to work? I am still waiting on that before trying out Ventura!

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011

Ok, I figured it out.

Go to System Settings > General > Login Items and enable “Avid Pro Tools” Launch agent and Launch Daemon.

I had it disabled as I thought it was some remnants of a Pro Tools install I didn’t want. I guess “Avid Pro Tools” really means “iLok"

Enabled it and iLok functions as expected.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Ok, I figured it out.

Go to System Settings > General > Login Items and enable “Avid Pro Tools” Launch agent and Launch Daemon.

I had it disabled as I thought it was some remnants of a Pro Tools install I didn’t want. I guess “Avid Pro Tools” really means “iLok"

Is that just a Pro Tools thing or has anyone else with another DAW ran into the same thing?? Im kinda sitting the sidelines for this one since I moved back to Cubase at the end of last year and dont think everything will be all hunky dory from the get go like it usually is with Logic haha. I think my most used plugs are all iLok too..

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Ok, I figured it out.

i disabled that, as i don't use protools (altho... i did buy a month in 2019, for a project... 🤔 ). i also no longer have any ilok plugins, but... that does seem reasonable. glad you sorted that out, a much-simpler fix 👍

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Is that just a Pro Tools thing or has anyone else with another DAW ran into the same thing?? Im kinda sitting the sidelines for this one since I moved back to Cubase at the end of last year and dont think everyhing will be all hunky dory from the get go like it usually is with Logic haha. I think my most used plugs are all iLok too..
I don't think it's a Pro Tools thing, rather the iLok Daemon / Launch agent is erroneously being recognized as Avid Pro Tools in name only. Best guess.

I'm not running ProTools currently, so this issue was with all iLok based software. This is DAW and specific software independent so I wouldn't expect this to affect Cubase any more than Logic- Logic being fine with iLok now.

i disabled that, as i don't use protools (altho... i did buy a month in 2019, for a project... 🤔 ). i also no longer have any ilok plugins, but... that does seem reasonable. glad you sorted that out, a much-simpler fix 👍

Yeah, I had it off as Im not currently using ProTools and thought it was some hidden remnant of it that I didn't want running in the background.

Anyways, I let PACE know perhaps they will fix in the future to avoid confusion.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Just grabbed an archive copy of the latest Monterey installer and made an updated USB installer just in case.. I'm just wondering if I should go through and unauthorize everything first if Im just going to upgrade my system? Do you guys do fresh installs or just upgrade? I honestly cant remember what I did when I ran the Big Sur and Monterey betas heh.

I've got tons of iLok stuff, Plugin Alliance, Cubase/Wavelab Pro, etc.. Im kinda scared to mess with the Steinberg stuff because its seems Im one of the lucky ones that's had no trouble with the move to their new authorization system when 12 came out heh.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Just grabbed an archive copy of the latest Monterey installer and made an updated USB installer just in case.. I'm just wondering if I should go through and unauthorize everything first if Im just going to upgrade my system? Do you guys do fresh installs or just upgrade? I honestly cant remember what I did when I ran the Big Sur and Monterey betas heh.

I've got tons of iLok stuff, Plugin Alliance, Cubase/Wavelab Pro, etc.. Im kinda scared to mess with the Steinberg stuff because its seems Im one of the lucky ones that's had no trouble with the move to their new authorization system when 12 came out heh.
i backed everything up, then just updated, nothing else. simple.

and when you're in, go to system settings and make sure avid is checked (for ilok to function... as R3K posted above.

Reactions: Monotremata

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Hah I just got everything installed about an hour ago. Had a hell of a time at first with the wifi. Had to uninstall Little Snitch, then reboot three more times just to get rid of the remoted kernel panic. Wifi was still on and off if at all. Couldn't even hotspot to my iPhone. Managed to install the new nightly of Little Snitch just in case a reinstall might sort it out. Still intermittent. For some reason after a few more reboots, it's been on for awhile. The whole first hour was pretty much on for a second, off for a bit, on for a minute, off when I wasn't looking, etc.

I played it safe and deactivated all my Steinberg stuff along with the iLok. After the upgrade, at one point when wifi was working, I got Cubase, Wavelab, and all my iLok stuff authorized with no trouble (iLok hasn't given me a single issue at all). Later when it worked again, managed to test out MIDI Quest (cloud iLok unfortunately), still working but it was a little wonky getting banks from my Blofeld and Microwave. Cubase 12 works like a charm, I just finished going through a few projects in Ableton Live too. MOTU 828X is still working (USB not TB). MPC still connects and my AMT8 is still working. Akai's network MIDI port app still works, just synced up a song in the MPC with Cubase over network MIDI. That thing was broke during Big Sur and just barely got fixed at the end of last year, thankfully its all good!

Got my Time Machine on pause with my last backup as of 3 hours ago right before I did the upgrade just in case.

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Looking for info on:

iZotope RX 9, Ozone 9, Neutron 4
Spitfire Player and Instruments
Kontakt (full)
UVI Workstation

Has anybody tried any of these?

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ok... life isn't as perfect as i thought. seen this twice in logic pro, and there are others reporting it as well:

sometimes bouncing a mix and overwriting a previous bounce causes logic to crash. am going to (for now) not overwrite bounces, but save to the desktop, then just replace the previous saved bounce.

so, a workaround for now, and reported on the beta feedback app.

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Funny part is, Logic of all things is the one app that's had any sort of hiccup so far. For some reason, it had to rescan all my AU's on first launch under Ventura. It hung on the MPC's plugin, had to force quit and restart it. Had to force quit it two more times before it made it all the way through and finally launched. Haven't really played with it too much. Lately its only use has been to fix up the 10+ year old projects I have still sitting around from 9/8/7/etc to get ready to move them over to Cubase and finally finish them. I'm rather shocked Cubase of all things, with its newest version and brand new licensing system has not had a single issue yet.

Good old AMT8 is STILL going strong too. Emagic may have made the best MIDI interface of all time right there haha.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Funny part is, Logic of all things is the one app that's had any sort of hiccup so far. For some reason, it had to rescan all my AU's on first launch under Ventura. It hung on the MPC's plugin, had to force quit and restart it. Had to force quit it two more times before it made it all the way through and finally launched. Haven't really played with it too much. Lately its only use has been to fix up the 10+ year old projects I have still sitting around from 9/8/7/etc to get ready to move them over to Cubase and finally finish them. I'm rather shocked Cubase of all things, with its newest version and brand new licensing system has not had a single issue yet.

Good old AMT8 is STILL going strong too. Emagic may have made the best MIDI interface of all time right there haha.
no such issue here with logic (the re-scanning of plugins).

there's a logic team, an FCP team, an OS team... and they're (obviously, based on my experiences with these things over the public beta years) not always in sync.

i've had crazy issues in logic in the past on previous betas. for me, this is by far the best 'first public beta' experience with logic.

Reactions: gank41

computa

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2022
just wanted to drop in here and point out some issues I'm having :

I use Ableton (latest version) & a few random VSTs.

I've noticed since the new update that a few VSTs are broken (nothing can be clicked and they stop outputting audio)

- Kick 2
- Shaperbox

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.