Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Following the Ventura update to version 13.3.1, certain keys on my keyboard stopped functioning properly, beginning with the number one key. Despite testing other keyboards, the issue persisted. I contacted Apple support, and although they attempted to resolve the problem, they ultimately recommended that I reformat and reinstall the operating system. Since then, everything has been working fine until today when the Option key suddenly stopped working without any apparent cause. No new third-party applications were installed, and there are no active login items. I cannot afford to lose two weeks of productivity by reformatting and reinstalling the OS again. Any assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated. (I posted this on Reddit also, I need to solve this badly)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you mention other keyboards; the problem happens with each one??

& which keyboard is this? is it usb, bluetooth...? try creating a test admin account, and see if the problem happens there.

is this an intel or silicon mac, and which mac specifically? if intel, you could try resetting the smc, and the nvram...

more info would help, and you can always call apple again, explain that this is happening again, and see what other ideas they might have.

jclaire

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2023
Following the Ventura update to version 13.3.1, certain keys on my keyboard stopped functioning properly, beginning with the number one key. Despite testing other keyboards, the issue persisted. I contacted Apple support, and although they attempted to resolve the problem, they ultimately recommended that I reformat and reinstall the operating system. Since then, everything has been working fine until today when the Option key suddenly stopped working without any apparent cause. No new third-party applications were installed, and there are no active login items. I cannot afford to lose two weeks of productivity by reformatting and reinstalling the OS again. Any assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated. (I posted this on Reddit also, I need to solve this badly)
I fixed this by using the minus sign (at the bottom of the window that shows the Input Source selections) to delete the "ABC-QWERTZ" so it automatically only had the "U.S." to default back to which is a standard US QWERTY

cckid68

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2024
Having iissues wthh my keygboard after updatng software. as you see keyyboard does what iiit wants. msses keys beng pressed and puts in extras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.