Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Not sure if I'm missing something here - or if Ventura is...

Just wiped my MacBook Air M1 and installed a clean copy of Ventura 13.1 (usually wait for .1 updates to try to avoid early bugs - ha..)

I have for years had an L2TP VPN connection into work - but now when I go to try setting it up, I put all the settings in and then.. nothing happens. No VPN connection seems to be created as a result of clicking the "Create" button.

There is also no VPN section in the menu bar in the list on the left of System Settings - which I guess there should be (since Apple seem to be trying to unify the Settings across devices), the same as what appears on my iPhone settings (running 16.2 and VPN working fine).

Filling out the settings as you would expect to (done dozens of times on other Macs/Windows machines - this is my first time on Ventura):

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 17.29.55.png

Click create and... nothing (I'm presuming a VPN service should appear here):

Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 17.30.10.png

I even clicked the help icon, where the steps for creating a VPN are listed, and there was a link in the article to "Open VPN Settings for me" - clicked that, and again, nothing happened.

If I go to "Add service", the only options are Thunderbolt 1, Thunderbolt 2, WiFi, Thunderbolt Bridge, PPPOE, and 6to4. No VPN option.

Anyone else had this / any ideas?

cheesygrin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Same problem here.
Did you find a solution?
Not fully - I think this is definitely a bug in Ventura.

However, I did find that I was able to create a new connection if I left the name of the configuration as default, rather than try to specify a custom name for it. That was a workaround for me, hopefully Apple will fix with an update at some point.

Reactions: jon@s

jackstaaa

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2023
Hey all, found a workaround for this. Download Apple Configurator and make a profile. Add a VPN connection to it, save and install it - the profile doesn't have to contain credentials, it just forces the menu to appear. Restart System Settings if it doesn't appear immediately.

Reactions: Deep_Thought
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.