Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Th3odor3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA, US
Homebrew is my favorite tool (choosing between Fink, MacPorts and Homebrew). I've been using it since Sierra and it is compatible on my Mojave OS devices.

Check out these formulae/packages available.
https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/

Have Fun!
yeah that is a massive list I can't go through it till I need something then I'll check there for sure.

Reactions: TimothyR734

deef

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
Is there a script to automatically install the equivalent packages from an existing macports installation in homebrew?

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
MacPorts is really old; you should use Homebrew as it already supports Mojave.

I'm not sure what that means; MacPorts came out in 2002 and Homebrew in 2006. MacPorts is still updated and will support Mojave like it supports every new release.

Personally, I've never liked the Homebrew project's anti-MacPorts attitude or the way it writes to /usr/local by default without asking for a password.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Wait a few days until a compatible version is released. In the meantime you can keep using your current ports; just installing new ones won't work.

I use MacPorts and really like it. That said, why does it take a couple of days for them to build a compatible version? If I can right now download the source and compile it why does it take a while for the maintainers to produce the installer? Also, I think for one upgrade it was several weeks before they made the installer available.

I don’t mean to sound unappreciative of the work the maintainers do. I just don’t get why it takes so long.

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
I use MacPorts and really like it. That said, why does it take a couple of days for them to build a compatible version? If I can right now download the source and compile it why does it take a while for the maintainers to produce the installer? Also, I think for one upgrade it was several weeks before they made the installer available.

I don’t mean to sound unappreciative of the work the maintainers do. I just don’t get why it takes so long.

It's not only the Macports binary itself. Every macOS update comes with a ton of changes, including changes in Xcode and the command line tools, and the maintainers need to be sure all the ports will also work on this new environment.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
It's not only the Macports binary itself. Every macOS update comes with a ton of changes, including changes in Xcode and the command line tools, and the maintainers need to be sure all the ports will also work on this new environment.

That is reasonable. But do they not start that work prior to the release when betas are available?

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
That is reasonable. But do they not start that work prior to the release when betas are available?

I guess they do. However, it is only when the macOS is officially released that they can work under "real-world" (i.e. not Beta) conditions. Also, don't forgot these folks are usually volunteers. ;)

Anyway, based on their past release agenda I would expect a Mojave version within the next few days.

Reactions: neliason

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Also, don't forgot these folks are usually volunteers.

I'm not and hope I don't give that impression. I very much appreciate the work they do, especially because I don't want to have to use HomeBrew. I might would help out the effort if I knew what I was doing.

Reactions: inarush

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
I have compiled MacPorts 2.5.3 from source on Mojave and it's been running without any issues for almost three days now. It's pretty easy to do if you follow this guide: https://www.ghostwheel.com/2018/09/22/installing-macports-on-macos-10-14-mojave.

Installing ports under this scenario do take a little longer than usual, since packages are compiled from source, but so far I haven't encountered any errors on the ports I use.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
I have compiled MacPorts 2.5.3 from source on Mojave and it's been running without any issues for almost three days now. It's pretty easy to do if you follow this guide: https://www.ghostwheel.com/2018/09/22/installing-macports-on-macos-10-14-mojave.

Installing ports under this scenario do take a little longer than usual, since packages are compiled from source, but so far I haven't encountered any errors on the ports I use.

Thanks for the update. I've thought about doing that but will hold out longer for the official package. I made sure to update my ports before I upgraded to Mojave.

I'm curious though, I thought MacPorts compiled all packages from source? I thought that was why you needed Xcode installed. Is that not correct?

inarush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Ann Arbor MI
Thanks for the update. I've thought about doing that but will hold out longer for the official package. I made sure to update my ports before I upgraded to Mojave.

I'm curious though, I thought MacPorts compiled all packages from source? I thought that was why you needed Xcode installed. Is that not correct?

Some are downloaded as binaries, though I'm not sure what is the criteria to decide this. You can prevent some ports to be built from source by uncommenting the line 'buildfromsource ifneeded' in the '/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf' file.
[doublepost=1538423799][/doublepost]

*EDIT*: by the way, don't forget to follow the migration guide (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration) before upgrading.

emians

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2023
Hi,

I am having some trouble with Macports. I installed Homebrew to work with Docker Desktop and Visual Studio Code back in September 2022. I today wanted to work with Macports and tried to run a 'port -d selfupdate' command, but got this:

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 08.29.27.png

So I thought to give a fresh install with I accomplished positively. After the fresh install I tried again a 'port -d self update' and, again, got this:

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 08.31.32.png

Something I have been missing here?

Thank you.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Hi,

I am having some trouble with Macports. I installed Homebrew to work with Docker Desktop and Visual Studio Code back in September 2022. I today wanted to work with Macports and tried to run a 'port -d selfupdate' command, but got this:

View attachment 2179964

So I thought to give a fresh install with I accomplished positively. After the fresh install I tried again a 'port -d self update' and, again, got this:

View attachment 2179965

Something I have been missing here?

Thank you.

Are you mixing this up with brew rather than macports? brew is the command for homebrew, port is the command for macports.

emians

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2023
Are you mixing this up with brew rather than macports? brew is the command for homebrew, port is the command for macports.
The fact is I want to use macports now and the command 'port' does not do. Check the attachments for reference, if you can clarify. Copy that?

So from what I understand Homebrew has taken over after Mojave? It's becoming more & more hectic every time. Where's Stallman?!?

So then you got issues like this, which is really a thousand steps backwards:

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 14.03.26.png

I rather understand that the real danger stands on this very lane.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.