Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanaThree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
I know there are many long threads on this subject, but I am a little confused about the CURRENT STATE of Intel GMA x3100 support in MacPostFactor. There are some very long threads on this subject.

I installed ML 10.8.5 on a Macbook 4,1 and it seems like this mac will only use the 64-bit kernel and 64-bit EFI.

I installed to a second partition and things work pretty well.
The 64-bit intel GMA x3100 kexts (64-bit, version 1.6.6, whatever that means) are loaded and pretty much all the UI stuff works. What doesn't work is sleep, brightness control, Chess, PhotoBooth, DVDPlayer, Time machine eye candy, and most 3rd party apps which use opengl (Stellarium crashes on start).

Workarounds:

• VLC (free) plays DVDs fine, so I guess I'll just use that in ML.
  • Shades (donationware) provides a phoney sort of screen dimming that is better than no brightness control at all.

Is there some way to load 32-bit GMA x3100 kexts from Lion or some beta? MacPostFactor's site, oshackers.net, seems rather spamalicious and downloading anything involves several dodgy, sleazoid ad-site redirections. There don't seem to be any forums there, either. Not too inspiring.....

Has MacPostFactor been abandoned? Were these Intel GMA x3100 issues never fixed, or did I fail to read the solution buried in a 700-page forum thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.