Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheTechMeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2021
So I'm trying to install OS X Mavericks (10.9) on my unsupported MacBook 4,1 and the first method I stumbled upon was MacPostFactor. I purchased a 16 GB USB Drive just for this so...

I basically select the Mavericks icon in the app I press on External Drive and select my USB and click erase then put Clean Install and the process just starts from there. It starts and it says "Waiting for you to click Skip Ad" I press it and it loads back to AD.fly and then I press it again and it just doesn't stop loading.

Just FYI:

I managed to get ML onto this Mac with MLPF (MLPostFactor) but that is it.

Any tips or tricks or any alternatives to MacPostFactor for Mavericks?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh and btw if u need, here are the specs:

Overview

MacBook 4,1 (Polycarbonate)

13-inch Late 2008

Processor: 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics: Intel GMA X3100 144 MB

Preinstalled OS: Mac OS X Leopard (10.5)

Maximum OS: Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5)

Displays

Built-in Color LCD Display

13.3-inch (1280x 800)

Intel GMA X3100 144 MB graphics

Storage

120 GB SATA Disk (Main)

SuperDrive:

Disc formats that can be written:

CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL,
DVD+R DL

Memory

2 GB Installed

This Mac contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts
a 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory module.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I recall being in that loop while installing mavericks onto my iMac 5,1..and now I cant recall how I got by that.
except on my last attempt I followed these instructions...

I did add some observations here for when you get to this stage:
"Theres a massive delay in the usb stick build at a
this point here:

mntesd/Packages/BSD.pkg -> /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg

..so much so that I thought it had stalled...and almost shut it down. Instead I wandered off to do other stuff and forgot about it..so was very surprised when I came back and it had gone onto the next step.

anyway mavericks is running. The final step is described as:
"AFTER all OS AND security updates, install the mavlegacygfx.pkg that was copied onto the installer drive. If you accidentally install it before doing updates, the Finder will not open!"

There a couple of glitches:
On boot up theres a rough looking screen that appears to be low res. but disappears once mavericks is loaded.
The cursor has artefacts when in movement.
The inbuilt speakers aren't recognised so theres no sound.

Hopefully the mavlegacygfx.pkg will sort those...but as I said, it will be a couple of days before I find out."

..and after I downloaded the updates and ran the mavlegacygfx.pkg everything worked!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.