Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gendolfender

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Beeston, England
Soooo i got a macpro 2,1 on ebay for 90 pretty cheap i must say but it has that ****** Nvidia GT 7300 however it was upgraded to 2 quad xeons anyhow i want to only use it in bootcamp mode
question is will HD 6950 work in it or will i have to buy something else as i have 6950 lying around
DO NOT FORGET im only using macpro in bootcamp mode not using mac os on it

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
If you run vanilla Windows, it's not bootcamp (unless there is some OS X installation left).
You can use it just like you used a regular PC. 6950 will work, provided you installed the drivers from AMD website.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
If you run vanilla Windows, it's not bootcamp (unless there is some OS X installation left).
You can use it just like you used a regular PC. 6950 will work, provided you installed the drivers from AMD website.
Windows will most likely have Radeon drivers included - but you still want the latest from ATI or Nvidia. Even the accelerated drivers from Windows update are usually a release or two older than the one on the vendor's site.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
The 7300 GT that it came with will also work just fine in Windows 10. That's what I used for a while on my system before I upgraded it a little bit.

gendolfender

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2017
Beeston, England

So in a nutshell if im using Windows only be it xp vista 7 8 10 etc it will works just fine only thing i will loose is mac bootscreen (white screen with apple logo)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.