Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomfowler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems getting the Cinema display to sleep in WindowsXP. I have a vanilla installation used for games and even though I have the sleep timer set to 15 minutes, I come back after a few hours and the display is dark, but not off. The backlight is still lit. I have actually turned off the screen saver and just set the power save to attempt to isolate the problem.

Of course, there are no problems in OS X. I think this is some sort of driver issue.

MacPro
Radeon 1900XT
2GB RAM
20" Apple Cinema Display
WindowsXP Professional with SP2
Latest ATI drivers

Anyone else have a solution? Maybe a specific driver for the Cinema display? Currently it just shows up as a "Plug and Play Monitor". This also happens when the machine actuallly goes to sleep. The monitor stays on (black screen) while the Mac sleeps.

Thanks,

Tom

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Just press the power button on the display to turn it off completely and then when you come back later, just press the power button again and continue working. Stupid workaround but, it should work.

tomfowler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
The power button doesn't work. Apparently on these new displays it has to communicate with the computer in some way. In Mac OS X pushing the button displays the standby, shutdown or restart prompt. It doesn't do anything in WindowsXP.

Thanks for the reply!

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Sorry. I've used Windows on my Mac Pro (20" ACD) but, I wasn't in Windows long enough for my display to go to sleep. I had no idea there were problems.

tomfowler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I give WinACD another try. I had used it once before and it never detected the display. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.