Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Hi guys, so current setup:

MacPro 2013
Monterey
Apple Keyboard A1243

It was working on previous Monterey 12.4. I updated this morning to Monterey 12.7.1. It doesn't work. Fortunately I have windows keyboard so I can use that. The apple keyboard works fine on my older mac mini & MBP.

I tried to google, I found similar issue with M1 mac and their solution is to enable Kernel mac extensions so it provide more power to the apple keyboard a1243 to work.

Is this solution workable for my situation - Macpro 2013 with Monterey?

How do I enable kernel mac extensions on Macpro 2013 w/ monterey?

Thanks

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Are you sure about this? I'm running Sonoma 14.1 on the 7,1 and the wired Apple keyboard works fine.
I don't know why the keyboard is not working with my macpro 6.1 after I updated to 12.7.1. It's working on my mbp & mac mini with high sierra. I googled the issue and found other with similar problem using m1 chips and solve it by opening the kernel extension. Thus, I'm asking how to do it on my macpro n whether that solution works on mine.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I have 12.7.1 on my MacBook Pro and I'm testing the keyboard with it. It's working. It's model A1243. It looks like this one is the MB110LL/B version based on this Wikipedia article. Maybe check to see which version yours is. Maybe the earlier version isn't working.

"It is worth noting that there are two versions of the A1243 keyboard (the MB110LL/A and MB110LL/B), that are distinguished by the icons on the F3 and F4 keys. This slight update took place in July 2011 on the release of OS X Lion and changed the label on the Exposé key (F3) to Mission Controland changing the Dashboard key (F4) to a Launchpad key."

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Someone on the other thread suggested to get a usb hub with its own power supply and plug the keyboard there. Well, tried it and it works. Not convenient but much cheaper than getting a new mac keyboard.

So the problem is indeed the lack of power from macpro after I updated to Monterey 12.7.1. If anyone has a way to enable the Kernel Mac extension on this Monterey 12.7.1, please let me know.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.