Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CameraGuy4267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
I've had my MacPro 3,1 for quite a long time now. Lately I noticed it was running pretty sluggish so I've given it a few upgrades to help get a few more years out of it before I finally cave and upgrade to a new machine. I recently put in a solid state drive to boot from, added a USB 3.0 card and threw in some more RAM for good measure. I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to DIY stuff, I'm not a tech by any means. But the ease of upgrades for these big MacPros has always been a huge selling point for me.

The computer is running like a dream now, I am booted and at the desktop in just over 30 seconds. However, the front fans kick on almost immediately upon boot. So when I open up some video editing software or anything involving some heavier graphics card use, the fans get louder than I've ever heard them the entire time I've had the machine. I thought the heatsink on the video card may need some new thermal paste, or maybe I had a dust blockage. Over the weekend I took that apart and to my surprise the card was relatively clean. I went ahead and replaced the thermal paste which appeases the front fans during boot and once we hit the desktop, but once I open anything up the fans kick on and opening Premiere Pro sends them into jet engine mode.

I've considered a processor upgrade because I'm wondering if these new bells and whistles aren't overloading an older processor, but I'm pretty ignorant about CPUs.I'm also wondering if it's not an issue with the graphics card being underpowered and trying to keep up wit the rest of the machine. I've included a screenshot of my setup (as well as an iStat fan readout during a video editing session) and I was hoping some kind soul might be able to guide me in the right direction as to getting these fans back down to normal speeds/noise. As a video editor, once the fans kick up to a certain level I have to either put headphones on to hear my audio over the fan, or turn my amp way up (which my wife is not a fan of).

I'm happy to provide more information if I've left out any crucial bits, as again, I am not a tech so my knowledge is mostly basic.

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 10.26.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 4.33.08 PM.png

CameraGuy4267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
I've included a screenshot of my temperature readings, and I will check out Macs Fan Control. But a follow up question, I was under the impression that fan control apps for Macs only allow you to set the speed of the fan higher. Does this app allow me to lower fan speeds?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.22.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.22.15 AM.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 280

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I've included a screenshot of my temperature readings, and I will check out Macs Fan Control. But a follow up question, I was under the impression that fan control apps for Macs only allow you to set the speed of the fan higher. Does this app allow me to lower fan speeds?
I could try it to find out. But I'll let you do it instead.

CameraGuy4267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
I could try it to find out. But I'll let you do it instead.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the willingness to suggest an app.

In the interest of trying to help anyone who has the same problem as I do currently, this app basically gives the same readouts that I was getting from iStat, but in a different interface. Fan speeds can be controlled individually, which is a nice feature.

I am still holding out hope that someone out there will actually be willing to help instead of just making snarky comments.

CameraGuy4267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
Here are my readouts from Macs Fan Control. I feel like that CPU B Core 0 is running really hot compared to the others. Again, I'm ignorant when it comes to CPUs and what temperatures they like to be at. Might it be time to remove the processors and re-apply thermal paste?

I'm concerned that some of these components are running entirely too hot and I may be damaging them. My goal is to get some more life out of my 3,1 but I might be doing it more harm than good.

It also appears that some of my RAM is running rather hot, clocking in around 80ºC. What could be causing these components to run so hot? Or am I worried over nothing?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.20.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 9.20.30 AM.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 269

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
CPU A Core 1 must be wrong.

Your 78°C is a few more degrees higher than mine (74 or 75°C) while all of your other temperatures are lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.