Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

&dj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
Hi,

I have a MacPro 5.1 that I am running with a 980ti. I set it up a while ago and I managed to struggle through installing windows to a clean SSD and was swapping it out for the Mac SSD to boot into mac. I haven't used the mac partition for some time, using it exclusively as a windows machine for some time.

I have just picked up a 3060ti cheaply and am keen to get it running with windows.

After installing the card, the machine doesn't boot and there is no chime. Replacing with the 980ti and the original radeon 5870 work fine. I found a comment on this thread:

RTX 3xxx GPUs don't complete POST while installed in a MacPro5,1, since the card expects UEFI 2.3.1 and fails in a boot loop when the OPROM is being loaded/enumerated.

My current windows set up lists the bios as legacy. I was wondering:

1. 1f there is any way to use open core to install windows with UEFI 2.3.1 or if its a dead end
  2. If there are any other issues that might be stopping this from working
Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Complete and total dead end. If you can't even complete POST, why you gonna ever boot OpenCore?

Maybe someone in the future can find a clever way to hack the GPU firmware or maybe the HII requirements can be reimplemented in the Mac Pro firmware, but right now you can't do anything to make a RTX 3xxx GPU to work with a MacPro5,1. Being honest here, this is probably not worth the effort necessary to develop everything needed to make it work, since a RTX 3xxx card will only work with Windows.

Reactions: bmoraski

&dj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
Complete and total dead end. If you can't even complete POST, why you gonna ever boot OpenCore?

Maybe someone in the future can find a clever way to hack the GPU firmware or maybe the HII requirements can be reimplemented in the Mac Pro firmware, but right now you can't do anything to make a RTX 3xxx GPU to work with a MacPro5,1. Being honest here, this is probably not worth the effort necessary to develop everything needed to make it work, since a RTX 3xxx card will only work with Windows.
Cool, thanks for taking the time to explain. I might have to bring forward my plan to do a mini itx build.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

Alex I thought one of the solutions for the boot screen in the firmware actually included forging UEFI? Was it not @Syncretic solution?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Alex I thought one of the solutions for the boot screen in the firmware actually included forging UEFI? Was it not @Syncretic solution?

Syncretic implementation works perfectly fine for older NVIDIA 7xx GPUs that previously did not work with MacPro5,1 EFI v1.10 and AMD NAVI 2x GPUs that require HII, like my RX 6600, but the last beta that I've tested didn't complete POST with a RTX 3060 Ti GDDR6X that I had here temporarily while I was upgrading a friend's PC.

Reactions: startergo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.