Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMcTavish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2023
Straya
Problems are missing (wifi, bluetooth, control center, etc) icons in the menu bar and cameras not working in a pair of A1407 Thunderbolt displays.

I see user menus like iStat and LastPass but limited system menus, no WiFi, Bluetooth, Clock or Sound (yes, they are enabled). Only Keyboard, Time Machine, Spolight and Siri appear.

Bluetooth half works, will connect to some devices but not others, headphones work but not Magic Mouse or Apple keyboard, or my ageing iPhone which says connected for a moment then disconnects. I'm using USB wired keyboard and mouse. I've tried the recommended fix, deleting blutooth plist and rebooting, plist does not get regenerated.

The A1407 display cameras don't appear in System Report, neither does a USB webcam.

A re-install from the recovery partition gave no improvement.

An install to USB drive beahaves the same.

A Diagnostic boot doesn't report any problems.

On a safe mode (Shift) boot the menus re-appear but no cameras.

First Command + Option + P + R param reset boot worked, menus restored and cameras working but I wandered off for a few minutes, when I came back the computer was rebooting. Now Command + Option + P + R does not restore menus or cameras, tried several times.

Backup battery replaced.

I've also tied with a different monitor/keyboard/mouse with nothing else connected, same issue.

A couple of other odd things I noticed, Safari now hangs up on some web pages, going to System Preferences/Accessibility/Pointer Control hangs with a beachball.

I'm running an aftermarket OWC 2Tb SSD replacement.

System Firmware Version: 474.0.0.0.0
OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~22
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18

Any ideas?

Ken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.