Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoelpyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
Hi everyone, this is my first discussion, hope it's in the right place :)
I've checked similar issues in other discussions and couldn't find any answer so Im posting it...

I have a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and a screen Apple Cinema HD Display 30-inch (2560 x 1600) and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB graphics.

Ive disabled every energy saver mode temporary (sorry for the electric waste) because each time the Mac goes into sleep mode (and this happens even if it shouldn't) the screen doesn't turn on anymore and I cant do anything to bring the Mac back to life. I play with the mouse and keyboard or event the eject bouton to open de CD reader and nothing happens...
There is a power bouton on the screen but it doesn't turns on or off the screen either...

I don't know why the Mac goes to sleep even if its not supposed to, and why I cant wake it up...
Only solution so far is to hold the power bouton until it restarts and I lose all data...

Can anyone help me with this issue please? 🙏

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
You can try this in Terminal
sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1

yoelpyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
thx paalb, so I just have to copy paste "sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1" in the Terminal to desble the sleep mode?

But, do you know why cant I get out of the sleep mode when it goes into sleep?
Or how to force it to be awake again?

paalb

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2019
thx paalb, so I just have to copy paste "sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1" in the Terminal to desble the sleep mode?
Yes

I do not know why. Maybe your mac is crashing as it enters sleep. Look for crash logs in Console. If you find any, you can try posting them here and see if anybody recognizes the error.

If the BR2032 battery is old, it can cause all kinds of problems see how to check here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/opencore-on-the-mac-pro.2207814/post-31360999

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
You're looking for the power management logs, that will have the sleep or wake reasons listed. Black screens crash on wake is not an uncommon issue - I've spent the past 20+ days on elimination testing to solve it myself, but the going to sleep on its own is weirder.

Code:
sudo pmset -g

should return the actual sleep settings the system is operating under.

Reactions: yoelpyt

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Did you tested with another display? Apple Cinema displays sometimes fail in an interesting way, the display works until you get the Mac to sleep, then the display never works again until a power cycle. It's a defect with the control board of the display.

You should test your Mac with another display and your Cinema Display with another Mac.

yoelpyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
Did you tested with another display? Apple Cinema displays sometimes fail in an interesting way, the display works until you get the Mac to sleep, then the display never works again until a power cycle. It's a defect with the control board of the display.

You should test your Mac with another display and your Cinema Display with another Mac.
I understand, thx, no I haven't tried it with another display, I will try to borrow one from someone

yoelpyt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2022
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.