Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emersive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Recently I experienced some issues booting. I sent it to Apple they replaced the GPUs, Logic board, and a few cables. I got it back yesterday and it still is having issues booting correctly. The boot issues are the following, it boots perfectly fine into Windows 10. If I restart my computer and hold option, try booting into safe mode, or recovery I see nothing but a black screen. I never see the Apple logo, though I do hear the chime.

I found, however, if I plugin an external SSD that has macOS installed on it, when it boots into Windows and I select what I think is the same internal drive and I hold option on startup boot options are displayed. I see the two Mac volumes, the Windows volume, and then two Boot EFI volumes. If I select the internal boot volume, it works and loads totally fine. From here if I hit restart, it will go back to a black screen.

I ran disk utility to see if there was a problem with the internal Mac partion and it came up empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if I try installing Montrey if part of that process will be wiping out any corruptions there may be on the boot files.

Thank you all!

DRDR

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I have the same problem with FileVault active. I have to input the password blindly. And then it will some times not boot, because auf an drive enumeration error, or something like this (takes to much time to get all drives, or something like that). So you have to try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.