Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOgOgilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
The monitor on my 2010 MacPro 5.1 goes on and off during use only. When idle, it stays on but as soon as I work with it, it goes to black and then back on and repeats until I stop using it. I've started from different Hard Drives and different OS but it does not fix. I'm thinking it's the Graphic Card but don't want to spend a lot to not fix the problem.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
It's a new mojave feature called 'Disco Mode Use'

Just kidding, it's most likely GPU or cable related. You didn't mention the GPU you are using.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
EDIT: Misread the symptoms. Yeah you should likely try another video card. You can find a used GT120 on eBay for $50 or so.

iOgOgilby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Well the problem was not the Monitor or the Graphics Card but a 3rd party USB light that had a defective USB Micro Connection. Would have never checked it but by mistake and I disconnected it and everything worked. Thanks for your good intentions but it's all fixed. I would like a recommendation of a new Graphics Card for 2010 MacPro 5.1 that does not require the added power. Thanks again.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Well the problem was not the Monitor or the Graphics Card but a 3rd party USB light that had a defective USB Micro Connection. Would have never checked it but by mistake and I disconnected it and everything worked. Thanks for your good intentions but it's all fixed. I would like a recommendation of a new Graphics Card for 2010 MacPro 5.1 that does not require the added power. Thanks again.

You are lucky the faulty USB light's connection did not damage your logic board, GPU or power supply.

Reactions: ActionableMango
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.