Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erdna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
Hello, noob here. I bought a Mac Pro 5.1 and tried to install monterey with the original card and opencore. Everything went fine. Than i replace the card with a Sapphire rx570 nitro 8gb and Monterey became very slow. Is there something i can do to solve this? I tried to mess with the "non metal" options but it didnt solve anything. So i tried to run an older macos version (high sierra) from another ssd i had with it, but i get a black screen with the sapphire. Can someone please help me? Thanks

MacHosehead

macrumors member
May 21, 2022
The RX570 should have metal support in Monterey without any additional patches. Make sure to do the installation of the OS with the Sapphire card installed.

Reactions: Erdna

Erdna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
The RX570 should have metal support in Monterey without any additional patches. Make sure to do the installation of the OS with the Sapphire card installed.
Thank you for your help, it worked! :)
I reinstalled and applied the opencore patch again on Monterey and its working fast now with the sapphire. Thank you my friend!! :)

oltjpack

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
Hello. I have a mac pro 5,1. Did a fresh install of monterey with oclp and with my rx570 installed. System information says "No kext loaded" for the rx570 and I get no video output from the card. Any suggestions??? Can't figure this out!

Erdna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
Hello. I have a mac pro 5,1. Did a fresh install of monterey with oclp and with my rx570 installed. System information says "No kext loaded" for the rx570 and I get no video output from the card. Any suggestions??? Can't figure this out!
Hello, try to install patches in open core. I had a Rx570 and the computer was very slow and the card didnt appear on system information. Try going in the applications folder / Open Core / click post install patches. I did that and the computer restarted. After that the card worked fine in my case

oltjpack

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
Hello, try to install patches in open core. I had a Rx570 and the computer was very slow and the card didnt appear on system information. Try going in the applications folder / Open Core / click post install patches. I did that and the computer restarted. After that the card worked fine in my case
Thanks. I did the post install patches. They’re all up to date, rebooted and still says ‘no kext loaded’. Opencore is completely up to date on my system. Been dealing with this for over a month now and can’t fix it.

MacHosehead

macrumors member
May 21, 2022
I had a similar experience with my MacPro4,1/5,1 and Monterey. An Nvidia card would work but I would get no output with a RX570. I tried different things and eventually tried booting from an EFI from OCLP 4.4. I then got video output back from the RX570 and could update OCLP to the current version without further issue. Something got changed but I don't know what.
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 2.07.52 PM.png

oltjpack

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
I had a similar experience with my MacPro4,1/5,1 and Monterey. An Nvidia card would work but I would get no output with a RX570. I tried different things and eventually tried booting from an EFI from OCLP 4.4. I then got video output back from the RX570 and could update OCLP to the current version without further issue. Something got changed but I don't know what.
View attachment 2181453
Unfortunately this did not work for me. Tried a few different oclp versions with no luck. Guess I’m just stuck with this issue, unless I just downgrade back to high sierra. Thanks for your suggestions.

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Hello, noob here. I bought a Mac Pro 5.1 and tried to install monterey with the original card and opencore. Everything went fine. Than i replace the card with a Sapphire rx570 nitro 8gb and Monterey became very slow. Is there something i can do to solve this? I tried to mess with the "non metal" options but it didnt solve anything. So i tried to run an older macos version (high sierra) from another ssd i had with it, but i get a black screen with the sapphire. Can someone please help me? Thanks

When you say "original card" which video card was that ?
If it was NOT a metal when you used OCLP, then it patch your Monterey but then you "pulled the rug under OCLP's feet" and swapped the video card and it's still configured for your old card.

For Monterey, there's no real need to use OCLP if you have RX 570. Especially patching macOS which is what OCLP is doing and then you have apply those patches after every update. RX 570 is supported in Monterey without root level pacthing.
Yes it may seem simple to use OCLP but hides so much under the hood, it's difficult to know what's happened.
You are better off using @cdf's guide...yes it is detailed but if you follow the step by step process then you should have a working system. Alternatively, there's preconfigured OpenCore configs by @h9826790 here with good instructions that'll will give you H/W acceleration for video encode/decode too for your RX 570.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.