Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I am not in the market for a few more months, but the only rumors I seem to hear are about backlit MBPs and 8 core macpros.

I am considering buying a macpro (debating between a Macpro and a MBP, ha) but I am fine with a quad core 2.66 ghz processor (I would the new base to be 2.66 with the upgrade to 3.0 costing the same as the 2.66 does now).
I have heard about the 8 core macs, but I am wondering if Intel will be updating anything with the logic boards, such as taking the Ram bus up to 1066 from 800 or 1 terrabyte hardrives, I have also heard rumors of R600 graphics cards for the Macpro.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
probably a different graphics card option, slightly faster chips/bus speeds, maybe different RAM (again...) --

I'd wait and see what NAB brings -- then buy the older cheaper version. Save some cash on the machine and up the RAM!

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
(i typed all this out, and later realized that you are talking about updates to the product line, not possible future upgrades after purchase, but i typed it so i am going to post it anyway)

I went ahead and purchased the mac pro in November... mainly because it was mid product cycle, and i know there is plenty of room for upgrading. Not to mention in its current configuration it is already plenty of power for my needs.

Apple would be stupid not to offer more graphics cards, so you can pretty much count on that as a possible upgrade.

Hard drives should be upgradeable for quite some time, I do not know the limitations of the onboard SATA controller, but it would imagine that there is plenty of headroom.

Ram... Because I do not know the limitations of the mac pro internals, ram is one that without further investigation I cannot be sure about. Often times Apple states that a machines maximum ram is 'X' amount, but only because the limitations of the ram chips that were available at the time of release. So if 1gb was the largest chip available at the time of release, and the machine has 4 slots, apple would say that the machine is capable of utilizing up to 4gb of ram. But that does not necessarily mean that the next step up in ram chips won't work in the machine when they become available.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I am not in the market for a few more months, but the only rumors I seem to hear are about backlit MBPs and 8 core macpros.

I am considering buying a macpro (debating between a Macpro and a MBP, ha) but I am fine with a quad core 2.66 ghz processor (I would the new base to be 2.66 with the upgrade to 3.0 costing the same as the 2.66 does now).
I have heard about the 8 core macs, but I am wondering if Intel will be updating anything with the logic boards, such as taking the Ram bus up to 1066 from 800 or 1 terrabyte hardrives, I have also heard rumors of R600 graphics cards for the Macpro.

RAM won't change, 1TB will be compatible with current systems. R600 has strong rumours, but Apple don't seem to like to use the latest graphics chips in their workstations. Alot of the GPU rumours are there because of the vocal minority wishing for things.

On processor pricing, don't expect anything more than additional options at high prices, there may be a reduction but there are no indications that this will be the case other than wishful thinking.

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
2gb ram standard apple....please. If they can do it in the pro laptops, might as well do the same in the desktops.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
On processor pricing, don't expect anything more than additional options at high prices, there may be a reduction but there are no indications that this will be the case other than wishful thinking.

There are a lot of non-Mac specific rumours flying around that Intel will be cutting Xeon prices quite dramatically to counteract Barcelona. Whether this will equate to cheaper Mac Pros or simply faster ones at the same price I don't know.

I'm intending to be in the market for a Mac Pro to replace my PC tower (as I will be able to boot Windows still if I want to) once Leopard and updated Pros are available. What I want: better graphics options. Basically I want a NVidia 8800 GTS or GTX. 2GB or RAM as standard would be nice if it was supplied as 2x1Gb, 4x512 would not be great. A reasonably priced option to go to 8 cores would be nice just for bragging rights ;)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
but I am wondering if Intel will be updating anything with the logic boards, such as taking the Ram bus up to 1066 from 800 or 1 terrabyte hardrives, I have also heard rumors of R600 graphics cards for the Macpro.

The RAM will remain at 667 (not 800) Mhz for most likely the next update... just thought id throw that out there.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
667MHz Not 800MHz Yet

I thought the the RAM was running 800 Mhz already on the Mac Pro? :confused:
"Memory
* 667MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory
* Eight FB-DIMM slots on two memory riser cards (4 slots per card) supporting up to 16GB of main memory
* Up to 256-bit wide memory architecture" from the MacPro Specs Page

I'm hoping for HDMI i/o and External SATA ports built in. But it's only a wish not based on knowledge of next architecture.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
I would expect a new graphics card obviously and probably 2GB ram stock. The MPB have it.. so that is a clear indicator.

Also, if the Mac Pros do not drop in price with the new revision I will be strongly leaning towards building a PC. The processors in the current line are not as expensive as they were when Mac Pro was first released and are kind of a rip off at this stage in the game.. especially if the pricing stays the same through the next line. However, I expect the price to drop.. probably the 2.66 will be the lower model and the 3.0 will be the mid model. That with 2GB ram + better graphics = good deal to me. Plus then the current 2.0 model can drop a bit in price and be a cheaper model of desktop.. kind of like the 1.8 G5 was years ago.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
"Memory
* 667MHz DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM (FB-DIMM) memory
* Eight FB-DIMM slots on two memory riser cards (4 slots per card) supporting up to 16GB of main memory
* Up to 256-bit wide memory architecture" from the MacPro Specs Page

I'm hoping for HDMI i/o and External SATA ports built in. But it's only a wish not based on knowledge of next architecture.

I don't believe that there are any FB-DIMMS fater than 667MHz on the market at the moment (at least a quick perusal at newegg and crucial didn't have any DDR2 RAM faster than 667 MHz that was fully bufferred).

cheers.

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Any chance the RAM prices for the Mac Pro will drop sometime soon? I want to add more ram, but I just can't fork out the $200+ it will cost for more!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Not too likely. I mean, prices always come down (until the demand for the RAM is low enough that it goes up again), but fully-buffered ECC RAM will always be kinda pricey. Just save up.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Perhaps new graphics options. Maybe.

BTO option for the new 1Tb HDs just hitting the market (Dell are starting to offer these I beleive).

Perhaps 8 core option :D

Apple could offer an external SATA port and perhaps hardware RAID, but I'm not counting on it.

Blueay and/or HD DVD BTO options (though I think we will have to wait for the next revission of that one).

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Don't buy a mac at all.
Save yourself a lot of money and frustration.
Apple is a joke of a company that sells defective junk.
Its time to backlash against this stupid company.
They're just taking advantage of you.:mad:

Stop trolling this post in multiple threads. Reported. :rolleyes:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I would expect a new graphics card obviously and probably 2GB ram stock. The MPB have it.. so that is a clear indicator.

Not really, the notebook market is very different from the market for workstations.

Also, if the Mac Pros do not drop in price with the new revision I will be strongly leaning towards building a PC. The processors in the current line are not as expensive as they were when Mac Pro was first released and are kind of a rip off at this stage in the game.. especially if the pricing stays the same through the next line.

They are the same price now as they were when the mac pro came out.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
Umbongo:

I meant the actual cost of the Intel processors have dropped a lot since the first Mac Pro was released yet the Mac Pro is still the same price. If you look at the parts in the Mac Pro the value is very poor. Which is why I think the price will drop when the next revision comes out as I said.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Umbongo:

I meant the actual cost of the Intel processors have dropped a lot since the first Mac Pro was released yet the Mac Pro is still the same price. If you look at the parts in the Mac Pro the value is very poor. Which is why I think the price will drop when the next revision comes out as I said.

I know you did, but they haven't; infact they are more expensive on newegg now than they were at release. The Mac Pro also contains components that would cost you more than $2500 if bought off the shelf, without factoring in the warranty, support and software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.