Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I'm wondering if anyone can help me get some benchmarks with apps I use. Its tough to do this at the Apple store because they have limted apps and the systems are usually base RAM and one HD. Some tests I'd like:

1DmkII (or similar 8MP files) RAW CR2 files

Adobe DNG converter: How long to convert 50 CR2 files to DNGs with full size jpeg preview, compressed (lossless), Preserver RAW image, Don't embed original.

iViewMP: Time it takes to import these DNG files into a new catalog. Uncheck 'use embedded preview' in preferences (raw tab). Thumbnail and preview settings: 640pix, high quality, uncheck 'use built in...'; previews: check 'creat full screen', large (1280), med quality, uncheck display previews at all times.

Then make a html gallery from these 50 images: aqua theme, 4x4 index table, 100pix thnails, 450x450 medai size. (uncheck upload to server).

There are free trials if you don't have them:

DNG converter:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

iView:
http://www.iview-multimedia.com/downloads/

Thanks!

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
For reference:

CompUSA 2.66, 1GB RAM, one HD, 7300GPU
Convert: 3 minutes 19 seconds
Import: 38 seconds
HTML Gallery: 1 minute 17 seconds

Not too fast IMO. Other systems data welcome too.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Isn't this completely non-representative unless the tests are all done with the same source FILES as well as applications?

NOt really. I've done this with different files from the same camera and the numbers are very similar. The files size has much more to do with it than the photo itself. So as long as they are 8mp CR2 files and then any 8mp DNG file the results will be comparable. Not scientific but still worth evaluating.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Just a thought, but is the DNG converter running in Rosetta? That plus the low RAM and single HD are possible causes of the not too fast speed :p

I don't know how it is with canon raw files, but the higher the resolution of my Nikon bodies, the larger variability in RAW file size...so a set group of files *might* be more statistically sound, though it would probably also be next to impossible to implement.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Just a thought, but is the DNG converter running in Rosetta? That plus the low RAM and single HD are possible causes of the not too fast speed :p

I don't know how it is with canon raw files, but the higher the resolution of my Nikon bodies, the larger variability in RAW file size...so a set group of files *might* be more statistically sound, though it would probably also be next to impossible to implement.

I'm not sure if it is or not...I thought about that later. Is there anything to indicate a program is running in Rosetta? I know iView is universal.

Regarding the files...so long as they are similar resolution the exact file isn't critical. Like I've said, I've done many conversions and regardless of the files used the time is always very very similar. So I'm not concerned with the files used provided they are CR2 files from a 8MP camera.

digitaldave

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
I'm not sure if it is or not...I thought about that later. Is there anything to indicate a program is running in Rosetta? I know iView is universal.

Version 3.7, the latest version, is Universal.

You can check to see if an app is Universal by selecting the application, cmd-I, near the top under 'General, Kind' it says 'Application (Universal)'.

Hope that helps :).

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
For reference:

CompUSA 2.66, 1GB RAM, one HD, 7300GPU
Convert: 3 minutes 19 seconds
Import: 38 seconds
HTML Gallery: 1 minute 17 seconds

Not too fast IMO. Other systems data welcome too.

Apple store, 3.0 quad, 6GB RAM, one HD, but 2 partitions, x1900
Convert: 1 minute 40 seconds
Import: 36 seconds
HTML Gallery: 7 seconds....yes, 7. Tested this 4 times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.