Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GMJames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
Hello all,

I just purchased a new MacPro 3GHz XT1900 machine. To keep things tidy in my workspace at home, I have the machine in a storage location within my desk. I noticed the computer ran pretty hot, and that the bin was getting warm. So rather than run it at all times, I thought I would put it to sleep more often than my previous computer.

However, when I put the MacPro to sleep, it awakens 5 seconds later. I have the computer connected to an airport via ethernet. I turned off the settings for awakening the computer based upon administrator access. I checked the box for allowing the power button to sleep the computer. I have tried placing the computer to sleep using the power button and menu command. None of the methods results in the computer staying asleep.

Appreciate any suggestions or chime-ins if you are experiencing something similar. For now, I am simply shutting the system down when I leave the desk.

dusanv

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2006
Things that wake my Mac Pro: external USB hub, Temperature Monitor. VLC and iTunes prevent it from going to sleep on its own when playing anything (that's normal). Disconnect all external hardware sans network, keyboard and mouse. Shut down any system monitoring software. Try to find what's waking it.

How hot is it running? Try downloading the Temperature Monitor software and find out. I'll trade you my 2GHz chips (max 37C even under *heavy* load) if 3GHz is too hot for you ;)

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Do you have an ACD? If so are your peripherals connected to the back of your ACD or connected directly to the MacPro. I was having two problems with my G5. The USB cable that runs from the monitor to the computer had to be replaced because it was waking the computer and turning on the monitor. Also my monitor is in repair as we speak because the USB and firewire connectors in the back of it were having a problem and it kept opening iTUNES and iCHAT via my iPOD and my iSIGHT respectively which were connected to the back of the monitor. I'm not sure if this is exactly your problem but the USB and firewire connections could be something to look into.

GMJames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
Great ideas. I will disconnect everything tomorrow and start one thing at a time connected to see what is waking it. I figured it might be something like my keyboard (macally, unsupported on the MacPro from what I can tell). I do have an external USB hub as well. And I do have an ACD with stuff connected to it.

Back with you tomorrow with news. Thanks!

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
I had the same issue of my mac pro not going to sleep.

For me, I had my scanner (always on) connected to my Dell Monitor's USB. Once I removed that it would sleep just fine. I'd recommend unplugging all USB/peripherals and seeing if one of them is causing your MP to wake up.

GMJames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
Closing The Issue

Thanks everyone. I unplugged every peripheral except my firewire drives and the computer went to sleep...for about 3 minutes. Then, I think my firewire drive woke it back up for some reason. This happened consistently, and because I need the external drives for now, I am left with having to turn the computer off when not in use.

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions that worked so well. Appreciate the help!

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
If everything is working properly though the preripherals shouldn't be destrubing the computers unless they are being used. I have been having this problem and I dont see why I should have to disconect all my peripherals everynight just so the monitor stays off. I think mine and other Macs might be isuing hardware problems via the USB and firewire specifically thrroguh an ACD. What I'm going to try and do tonight is to log out of my Mac rather than turn it off in case I need it do to my poor sleeping habits. Maybe this will rectify the problem.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
I have been having this problem and I dont see why I should have to disconect all my peripherals everynight just so the monitor stays off. I think mine and other Macs might be isuing hardware problems via the USB and firewire specifically thrroguh an ACD.

I agree.

My MP wont go to sleep either.. 5000€ in total and it wont go to sleep..
Well,actually it does.

It wont go to sleep if trying to put it into sleep from the menu.
But, if I let it go to sleep on its own (i have it set for 10 minutes) it goes AND stays in sleep properly.
Well, for a while. Once in few hours,it gets something that makes it wake up.Not healthy.

Attached to the computer there is:

1 Wacom drawing table (usb,computer)
2 Card readers (usb,1monitor,1computer)
1 External HDD (usb,monitor)
1 External HDD (firewire,monitor)

Wireless keyboard and mouse.

Internally there is 5 HDDs.

All those were connected to my previous comp without any problems.

Dang.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Attached to the computer there is:

1 Wacom drawing table (usb,computer)
2 Card readers (usb,1monitor,1computer)
1 External HDD (usb,monitor)
1 External HDD (firewire,monitor)

Do you let your Wacom mouse sit on the tablet? Mine makes the cursor twitch every so often, so I never use it. Maybe that's what is waking the machine?

I came in this thread because I've noticed for the past several days that my Mac Pro is on when I get home from work. The bluetooth Mighty Mouse and keyboard are off. This has only been going on for a few days and nothing has changed in my system setup in that time, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Is there a log somewhere that says what interrupted sleep?

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Do you let your Wacom mouse sit on the tablet? Mine makes the cursor twitch every so often, so I never use it. Maybe that's what is waking the machine?

I have the table with pen only,I dont have the mouse.
And the comp is waking up even if the wacom aint connected.

I wonder if it really is somehing RMD here sai, of the ACDs usb cable being borked,and waking the comp?

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It may not help but I had a few days that I could come home to find my MP awake. I repaired disk permissions and it works good now. Sleeping like a baby!

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
It may not help but I had a few days that I could come home to find my MP awake. I repaired disk permissions and it works good now. Sleeping like a baby!

I'm glad it worked for you. However, I gave it a shot and the monitor still turns on for no reason. I was hoping that would do the trick. Back to the drawing board I guess. :(

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I think my problem was related to a USB hub I had plugged in. Don't know why it suddenly became an issue, but since I unplugged it, haven't had the trouble anymore.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
On second notice

I tried the repair permissions route and it half fixed my problem. Now my PowerMac and my ACD will go to sleep but only when I leave them alone and let the settings in energy saver do the work. When I manually put them to sleep (pressing the power button on the side of the ACD or go to Apple on the menubar and put it to sleep) they wake up seconds after. So now it works but only with the energy saver timers for sleep after correcting the disk permissions. Any thoughts on how to get it to work both ways? Thanks in advance.

quasar720

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2004
Berkley, MI
I'm having this problem as well. I don't have an ACD, I have two Dell 2007wfp monitors plugged in and am using them to connect my printer and iPods. I have now unplugged the USB cables from the back of the mac and will try it out for a few days. I don't really think it is a cable issue. Maybe there is some sort of 'keep alive' signal the USB hub in each monitor intermittently sends to the Mac Pro that wakes it up?

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I had the same problem and tracked it to my scanner. Whenever my scanner is plugged in, my MacPro won't stay asleep. It's probably because some external devices send signals back and forth and that wakes up the computer. For anyone who is having the trouble, I suggest you unhook all peripherals and see if you can find the culprit by trial and error.

daveporter

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2006
Green Cove Springs, FL
A number of PCIe cards will also prevent your MP from going into deep sleep.

I have a UAD-1e digital audio processor card in my MP and it prevents my Mac from going into deep sleep. Therefore, if you have any PCIe cards in your MP you might wish to check with the manufacturer to determine if they could be the problem.

Hope this helps,

Dave

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'm having this problem as well. I don't have an ACD, I have two Dell 2007wfp monitors plugged in and am using them to connect my printer and iPods. I have now unplugged the USB cables from the back of the mac and will try it out for a few days. I don't really think it is a cable issue. Maybe there is some sort of 'keep alive' signal the USB hub in each monitor intermittently sends to the Mac Pro that wakes it up?

I have a similar Dell monitor (the non widescreen version). If you sleep the Mac with the monitor on it will wake up shortly after. This happens when the display goes into power save mode as it triggers a change on the USB bus.

To work around it turn your monitor off immediately after clicking 'sleep'. If you then turn the monitor on the Mac will also wake up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.