Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
England
A 8800GTX/GTS?

Or the ATi card when it's released? I'm considering building a pc with the 8800 card due to Flight Sim X giving my Macpro a battering! Is it worth waiting a while to see if they release an upgrade GPU for my exisiting machine?

Thanks

Darren

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
"Macpro - Will we wont we get...." ummm- what does this mean?

I don't think anyone knows when new cards are coming, but we hope these do. If you are considering building a computer just for gaming, why do you have a mac? If you have the money to easily spend, you can go for it if you want...However, you could just relax a bit and wait...Do you have the X1900?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Well its really not that simple, the card won't work in OSX, only on Windows and you'd need a second card for OSX but that could be sketchy business and I'm not even sure it would work.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Well its really not that simple, the card won't work in OSX, only on Windows and you'd need a second card for OSX but that could be sketchy business and I'm not even sure it would work.

Yes, by using it whenever you want to to game, I was implying swapping it out. Obviously he already has the card which would work in OS X. And yes, it would work. There is a thread with people having gotten it to work.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes, buying a workstation for a gaming machine is a tad bit more expensive than a performance desktop.

The way it is looking, we will probably get a minimum of one more mobile-based iMac before we see Apple add the desktop chipset to the Mac line-up (and the possibility of seeing a gaming Mac tower show up at the same time.)

With the Intel chipsets however, you just never know when Apple will surprise you and add the desktop chipset anyway. ;)

Once Apple reenters the consumer tower market, we will likely see more choices in video cards.

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
England
Well i already have the X1900.

The reason why i purchased the mac was because i thought it could handle my games, which it could until i got flight sim x. I wanted 1 machine that i could have OSX on and Windows. But now, unless mac release a more powerful GPU i'll have to build a pc.

I think i'll leave it until April and then if we dont see an update then i suppose i'll have to have 2 separate desktops.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Honestly, I think the best option is to build a gaming PC out of the best parts your money can buy, and have a Mac Mini for everything else. That way you get a PC you can quickly upgrade without having to worry about compatibility, and a Mac which is super-stable and is (currently) invulnerable to viruses etc.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Why the heck are people buying Mac Pro's to run Windows and use as a gaming machine? I do enjoy the occasional Mac game but, I'm pretty sure I did not buy the Mac Pro for gaming reasons. Getting a Windows PC will severely improve compatibility with GPUs and game titles for running on Windows. Why not just do that?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Did people not read...this person owns a Mac Pro, with the X1900....

and he wants to make a high-end gaming machine. The Mac Pro is designed to be a workstation; thats the reason it has 2 gigabit ethernet ports, 2 dual core chips, 4 HDD bays and support for 16GB RAM. You don't need any of that if you are playing games, but they are a godsend if you are editing massive video files.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Yes I know, but...some people are making it seem like they think he doesn't own a mac yet. Like the suggestion to get a mac mini, and build a gaming pc.

alright alright... ill rephrase the comment; sell the Mac Pro, use the money to buy refurb mac mini + parts for gaming machine.

For future reference, anyone who wants a gaming machine and a mac, buy a gaming machine and a mac mini/iMac, not both in one until things at Apple change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.