Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilo Adami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
I'm looking to add a 3rd monitor to my set up. I'm currently running:

Macpro 5.1 early 2009 with an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB

1st monitor - Mindisplay port adaptor to HDMI into an ultrawide LG running SwitchResX4 for maximum resolution

2dn monitor - DVI out into DVI in a DELL monitor

There's another minidisplay port available so I've tried connecting an adaptor out into HDMI into a BENQ monitor with no avail, the macpro seems to only run 2 monitors at a time, is there a solution for this or would I have to purchase another graphics card?

I've also tried displayport adaptor out into HDMI and no success.

Many thanks

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
It’s the card not the Mac that is the limit. however the 5770 and 5870 were able to run 3 displays. You likely just need to get a true active adapter for display port to hdmi or dvi if desired.
active adapters and passive adapters for DisplayPort behave differently.

Pilo Adami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2020
Hey Luda, thanks for your reply.

Update on this:

I've ordered an active HDMI adapter from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GYAW3V8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately I can't get all 3 screens to work, I know the adapter works cause I can have both HDMI on minus the DVI, or DVI + HDMI (active or passive) but not all 3, after turning the 3rd screen with active HDMI on it all I get is 'no cable connected'

Not sure where to go from there, if anyone has any insights please let me know, I'm suspicious either my video graphics doesn't support 3 external screens or the adapter is not a 'legit' active one

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hey Luda, thanks for your reply.

Update on this:

I've ordered an active HDMI adapter from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GYAW3V8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately I can't get all 3 screens to work, I know the adapter works cause I can have both HDMI on minus the DVI, or DVI + HDMI (active or passive) but not all 3, after turning the 3rd screen with active HDMI on it all I get is 'no cable connected'

Not sure where to go from there, if anyone has any insights please let me know, I'm suspicious either my video graphics doesn't support 3 external screens or the adapter is not a 'legit' active one
To be sure a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is active, find one that does HDMI 2.0 (4K 60Hz) because passive adapters are limited to HDMI 1.4 (4K 30Hz).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.