Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
occasionally, my MP will freeze and can only be shut down by holding the power button.
Sometimes upon wake from sleep, other times it just happens.
10.9.5. on an SSD following Tiamos method w/an upgraded video card and 8G ram.
Otherwise, it seems to work fine. I have been unable to re-create the issue, it just happens.
Any ideas what to look for?

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Have to agree with @bax2003. If you want to eliminate hardware issues use Lion or Snow Leopard, although i never had any hiccup with ML, Mavericks or El Capitan on my 1,1. Yosemite was different story.

You could also check Console for any report about system freeze.

Only hardware problems that led to reboots or no sleep, in my case, were GPUs;
with HD6850 i had system reboots if i push it too hard in FCPX and Mac didn't go to sleep while i had HD7950 and GT 7300 at the same time (7300GT was used for 10.6.8),
So it might be a good idea to write little more about hardware you have in your 1,1.

flang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
it's stock other than 2 extra HDs and an SSD; and a new graphics card, ATI Radeon 5770HD, Apple part # MC742ZM/A.
I'll check the console. It's just a daily driver. No heavy lifting beyond DVD rips w/HB.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Mine does the same thing, but mine likes to kernel panic when it wants to. I could be doing heavy computer stuff, or it could be sitting there idle. Like it has a mind of it's own.

I have run the ASD for 2006 mac pros and it comes up fine on all hardware testing.
I have reset SMC and pram, still no change.
Mine is bone stock minus the ati 5770 and 5 hard drives installed. It's also got 5 gb ram.
From what some other forums have been saying, it might be my pram battery so i am going to swap that out when i have some more time off of work.

I have it ripped apart right now and i am checking caps and all of them look fine. Even the psu caps.
I have done all the thermal paste on every heatsink i can find. North and Southbridge, heatsinks, have blown all the dust out of the system.

It baffles me on what might be causing this random KP's

*edit*
Specs...
Mac Pro 2006 (macpro1,1)
2x 2.66GHz
5GB ram (2x 2gb, 2x 512MB)
5 hard drives
DVD
ATI 5770
OS 10.10.5

flang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
I've 8G ram as my reading indicated that would help avoid KP's, true or not.
I haven't run ASD, as I don't have it. Did you do that off a stick or off the int drives?
Do you happen to know if this is good info?
http://rivenbyfive.blogspot.com/2012/01/download-and-run-apple-hardware-test.html
I've reset SMC and pRAM as well to no change. Dusted regularly.
Caps all appear to be good, though just because they ain't swollen, doesn't mean there aren't issues.
The PSU is known to have issues. I wonder, does the ASD check that?

I'm going to upgrade my procs and paste, when I can get a bit of time, to the readily available X5355 QC 2.66Mhz.
Hadn't thought about the pRAM batt …… it is 10yo.

Last edited:

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Is part of that total RAM two 512 MB chips (likely the ones that came with the machine)?

I've read elsewhere on the forums that those 512 MB modules can be problematic. I still have them in mine and haven't experienced any trouble.

flang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
I've read elsewhere on the forums that those 512 MB modules can be problematic. I still have them in mine and haven't experienced any trouble.

I have mine as part of my 9G. They haven't been an issue near as I can tell.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I have mine as part of my 9G. They haven't been an issue near as I can tell.

I still have mine in there too, which is where my weirdo 13 GB of RAM number comes from in that machine. Doesn't seem to have caused me any issues, but others on the board have reported problems.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I have taken out my 512's before so i was running 4GB, but the same symptoms still appear.
I just had one reboot 5 min ago just listening to a measly youtube video. i had macsfancontrol open to watch the temps and nothing was over 55 celcius.
then like i said, it just rebooted, no warning, nothing, just boop, reboot
[doublepost=1475479477][/doublepost]I also checked my ram extensivly with the ASD and with a program called MacCheck. both have reported all of my ram, 512's and 2GBs to be in fully working condition.

flang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2012
so I changed sleep computer to never and sleep drives whenever possible.
so far, seems that combination works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.