Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
…if there is some utility or SOP I can use to have a crack at it myself?

If a deep NVRAM reset doesn't work to get the NVRAM volume as expected again, you gonna need a BootROM reconstruction service.

Chew_Bags

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
New Zealand
If a deep NVRAM reset doesn't work to get the NVRAM volume as expected again, you gonna need a BootROM reconstruction service.
Thankfully the Schrauber has come through with a freshly rebuilt ROM for me. Would prefer to get the 5,1 backplane up and running so will investigate the tools required to see if cost effective.

I don't really like the idea of running a 5,1 tray with a 4,1 backplane due to the power draw of the fans running 100% - too noisy as well.

Last edited:

Chew_Bags

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2024
New Zealand
Just purchased some kapton tape, a strip of MX25L3206E chips, and a CH341A kit. Will let everyone know how I did and if the MP51.fd image got the Mac booting again.

I've never done this kind of thing before so we'll see how it goes.

The longest part of the project will be the shipping of everything to NZ.

Reactions: JedNZ

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Just purchased some kapton tape, a strip of MX25L3206E chips, and a CH341A kit. Will let everyone know how I did and if the MP51.fd image got the Mac booting again.

I've never done this kind of thing before so we'll see how it goes.

The longest part of the project will be the shipping of everything to NZ.

just practice with some electronic junk, before you do the Mac backplane. Reading glasses in the highest strength available will also help if your eyes are not fresh like a teenager's. I use 5,0 ones to check everything, 3,0 ones to solder - or a stereo microscope, depends if its a good or bad day.

Reactions: Chew_Bags

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Apple with today's Monterey 12.7.3 (21H1015) just updated MacPro6,1 BootROM to System Firmware version 481.0.0.0.0:

Code:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:	MacPro6,1
  Processor Name:	6-Core Intel Xeon E5
  Processor Speed:	3,5 GHz
  Number of Processors:	1
  Total Number of Cores:	6
  L2 Cache (per Core):	256 KB
  L3 Cache:	12 MB
  Hyper-Threading Technology:	Enabled
  Memory:	64 GB
  System Firmware Version:	481.0.0.0.0
  OS Loader Version:	540.120.3~37
  SMC Version (system):	2.20f18
  Panel Illumination Version:	1.4a6

hieronymo

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Hello, I'm currently trying to reinstall my friend's Mac Pro 5.1 with Monterey. As a first step, I performed a clean installation of Mojave, reset the NVRAM several times (5 beeps), disabled SIP, and made a BootRom dump. Unfortunately, I have no idea how it should look, but somehow it doesn't seem correct (compared to other posts I've seen).
Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 13.50.11.png

Can anyone tell me if a BootRom reconstruct is necessary or possible?

hieronymo

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
Ok Macschraubers analyze look's like this:

Code:
File saved in ~/Downloads with name
~/Downloads/Macschrauber'\''s Rom Dump 10.02.2024_14-07-56/CK0xxxxxGEUG_144.0.0.0.0_MX25L3205D_10.02.2024_14-08-26.bin

analysis:

Firmware 144.0.0.0.0 (latest) built on Fri Apr 12 12:43:00 2019
(U)efi version: 1.10
MP51, Serial from firmware: CK0xxxxxGEUG
CRC32 checksums: ok
Old bootblock of MP51.007F.B00-B03
Base_20 hardware descriptor, Fsys 0x07
BootOrder: 1:Boot0080
Boot0080: |Apple_APFS|disk0s2 (SATA Bay 1:WDC  WDS250G2B0A-00SM50)|\C30AD9E5-9EE8-4955-BBAF-14227785318F\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Boot0080 is MacOs 10.14.6, label: MacOS
BootFFFF: |Apple_APFS|disk0s2 (SATA Bay 1:WDC  WDS250G2B0A-00SM50)|\C30AD9E5-9EE8-4955-BBAF-14227785318F\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
BootFFFF is MacOs 10.14.6, label: MacOS
7 boots since last garbage collection, MTC counter: 1 - 8
8 (1 active) Memory Configs g (caution)
8 (1 active) Memory Configs h (caution)
8 (1 active) Memory Configs i (caution)
1 (1 active) Memory Configs j (caution)
1 (1 active) IASInstallPhaseList / xml (ok)
0 Microsoft certificates (ok)
1 (1 active) BluetoothActiveControllerInfos (ok)
1 (1 active) BluetoothInternalControllerInfos (ok)
2 (0 active) Boot PathProperties0000 (ok)
2 (1 active) NVRAM PathProperties0000 (ok)
VSS2 is empty (ok after recent full nvram reset or after flashing a rebuilt firmware)
9818 bytes free space of 65464
VSS1 (Formatted) (Healthy), found 64 variables (26 valid, 38 deleted)
VSS2 (Formatted) (Healthy)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Ok Macschraubers analyze look's like this:

Code:
File saved in ~/Downloads with name
~/Downloads/Macschrauber'\''s Rom Dump 10.02.2024_14-07-56/CK0xxxxxGEUG_144.0.0.0.0_MX25L3205D_10.02.2024_14-08-26.bin

analysis:

Firmware 144.0.0.0.0 (latest) built on Fri Apr 12 12:43:00 2019
(U)efi version: 1.10
MP51, Serial from firmware: CK0xxxxxGEUG
CRC32 checksums: ok
Old bootblock of MP51.007F.B00-B03
Base_20 hardware descriptor, Fsys 0x07
BootOrder: 1:Boot0080
Boot0080: |Apple_APFS|disk0s2 (SATA Bay 1:WDC  WDS250G2B0A-00SM50)|\C30AD9E5-9EE8-4955-BBAF-14227785318F\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Boot0080 is MacOs 10.14.6, label: MacOS
BootFFFF: |Apple_APFS|disk0s2 (SATA Bay 1:WDC  WDS250G2B0A-00SM50)|\C30AD9E5-9EE8-4955-BBAF-14227785318F\System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
BootFFFF is MacOs 10.14.6, label: MacOS
7 boots since last garbage collection, MTC counter: 1 - 8
8 (1 active) Memory Configs g (caution)
8 (1 active) Memory Configs h (caution)
8 (1 active) Memory Configs i (caution)
1 (1 active) Memory Configs j (caution)
1 (1 active) IASInstallPhaseList / xml (ok)
0 Microsoft certificates (ok)
1 (1 active) BluetoothActiveControllerInfos (ok)
1 (1 active) BluetoothInternalControllerInfos (ok)
2 (0 active) Boot PathProperties0000 (ok)
2 (1 active) NVRAM PathProperties0000 (ok)
VSS2 is empty (ok after recent full nvram reset or after flashing a rebuilt firmware)
9818 bytes free space of 65464
VSS1 (Formatted) (Healthy), found 64 variables (26 valid, 38 deleted)
VSS2 (Formatted) (Healthy)

This is a very early made mid-2010 Mac Pro, still with hardware descriptor Base_20, first BootBlock that have issues with PCIe switched cards and you have just 9818 bytes available.

If you intend to run only Mojave, you can do a multiple continuous NVRAM reset until the 5th chime with a wired KB that works for NVRAM resets and see if you can get garbage collection to liberate all marked for deletion entries and get more primary VSS space available. Seems you already did a NVRAM reset very recently, but did not improved the available space.

If you later want to run unsupported macOS releases, you gonna need a reconstruction to fully upgrade this BootROM image or you gonna have issues with the Base_20 bugs, like phantom USB ports and incorrect voltage amperage sensor calibration, and the obvious low available space inside the primary VSS store.

Last edited:

hieronymo

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
This is a very early made mid-2010 Mac Pro, still with hardware descriptor Base_20, first BootBlock that have issues with PCIe switched cards and you have just 9818 bytes available.

If you intend to run only Mojave, you can do a multiple continuous NVRAM reset until the 5th chime with a wired KB that works for NVRAM resets and see if you can get garbage collection to liberate all marked for deletion entries and get more primary VSS space available. Seems you already did a NVRAM reset very recently, but did not improved the available space.

If you later want to run unsupported macOS releases, you gonna need a reconstruction to fully upgrade this BootROM image or you gonna have issues with the Base_20 bugs, like phantom USB ports and incorrect voltage amperage sensor calibration.
Thank you very much. The plan is to install macOS Monterey or higher... If I understand correctly, are you the person I can contact for a reconstruction?

Reactions: tsialex

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Hi guys!
Are there any alternatives to the SST25VF032B or is that the best alternative for putting new ROM chip in the Mac Pro?

I read earlier in this thread that the AsProgrammer or CH341A will not work good with the SST25VF032B?
So just wondering if there are other options as well before ordering spare chips.

Also i am curious about adding a socket, did anyone do this?

And also i was curious about adding encryption on this level, like new Mac Pro models, since we are now modding the excisting ROMs with new features, would it be possible to have encryption on EFI level for all the disks? (in theory)

Also, another weird question, would it be possible to add bigger EFI ROM chip, to support more features or more data in the EFI for drivers or other such things?

Thanks!

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi guys!
Are there any alternatives to the SST25VF032B or is that the best alternative for putting new ROM chip in the Mac Pro?

First post already have this answer, MXIC MX25L3206E that Apple used for mid-2012s and you can get it brand new from reputable distributors.

I read earlier in this thread that the AsProgrammer or CH341A will not work good with the SST25VF032B?

I never had any problems flashing SST 25VF032B, but since it's a long obsolete chip that you can only get 2nd hand pulls today, replace it with the second source SPI model still produced and readily available today, MXIC MX25L3206E.

So just wondering if there are other options as well before ordering spare chips.

Already answered above.

Also i am curious about adding a socket, did anyone do this?

Yes, not a good solution.

SOIC sockets frequently have bad contacts and the location is very awkward and difficult to replace the SPI without taking the backplane from the case or if you have a small and steady hand, you can just remove the GPU.

If you replace with a brand new SPI flash memory, you won't have flash memory related issues for another decade.

And also i was curious about adding encryption on this level, like new Mac Pro models, since we are now modding the excisting ROMs with new features, would it be possible to have encryption on EFI level for all the disks? (in theory)

It's one of the things that are possible, but not feasible since we don't have the source code of the BootROM.

No one will invest the man hours and money necessary to do this nowadays. Even more so, since Apple and major software houses (Adobe for example) are now using AVX 2.0 instructions everywhere, the days of MacPro5,1 running current macOS releases are near the end - Ventura and Sonoma are a no go for various professional workflows already.

The exact same reason is also killing MacPro6,1.

Also, another weird question, would it be possible to add bigger EFI ROM chip, to support more features or more data in the EFI for drivers or other such things?

Nope, no BootROM source code, no possibility of doing that. Btw, currently around 1/3 of the MacPro5,1 BootROM is just 0xFFs.

Last edited:

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
First post already have this answer, MXIC MX25L3206E that Apple used for mid-2012s and you can get it brand new from reputable distributors.

I never had any problems flashing SST 25VF032B, but since it's a long obsolete chip that you can only get 2nd hand pulls today, replace it with the second source SPI model still produced and readily available today, MXIC MX25L3206E.

Already answered above.

Yes, not a good solution.

SOIC sockets frequently have bad contacts and the location is very awkward and difficult to replace the SPI without taking the backplane from the case or if you have a small and steady hand, you can just remove the GPU.

If you replace with a brand new SPI flash memory, you won't have flash memory related issues for another decade.

It's one of the things that are possible, but not feasible since we don't have the source code of the BootROM.

No one will invest the man hours and money necessary to do this nowadays. Even more so, since Apple and major software houses (Adobe for example) are now using AVX 2.0 instructions everywhere, the days of MacPro5,1 running current macOS releases are near the end - Ventura and Sonoma are a no go for various professional workflows already.

The exact same reason is also killing MacPro6,1.

Nope, no BootROM source code, no possibility of doing that. Btw, currently around 1/3 of the MacPro5,1 BootROM is just 0xFFs.

Thanks for the reply!

I ordered som of the boot-rom chips from aliexpress. com, that is from china.
I have tried some other chips before for GPUs, and they seem to work.

Prices from Aliexpress is like 20 EUR for 5-10 chips.

I found chips with same modelnumber as the old 2009 Mac Pro and i ordered 5 pcs, i also ordered another 5pcs of the nVidia ROM chips for GPUS.

And while searching for MXIC chip that you advise, i found alos that chip.

Now i want to ask, is there a huge quality difference between the chips from Aliexpress and the ones i order locally in EU? Prices are 10-100x higher here compared to china, mostly due to shipping cost and tax.

Will there be any problems running the china chips?

5pcs 2 EUR.

1709406441330.png

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

I ordered som of the boot-rom chips from aliexpress. com, that is from china.
I have tried some other chips before for GPUs, and they seem to work.

GPUs doesn't have NVRAM being constantly written and erased. You can't extrapolate a success with a GPU to a MacPro backplane.

Prices from Aliexpress is like 20 EUR for 5-10 chips.

I found chips with same modelnumber as the old 2009 Mac Pro and i ordered 5 pcs, i also ordered another 5pcs of the nVidia ROM chips for GPUS.

And while searching for MXIC chip that you advise, i found alos that chip.

Now i want to ask, is there a huge quality difference between the chips from Aliexpress and the ones i order locally in EU? Prices are 10-100x higher here compared to china, mostly due to shipping cost and tax.

Will there be any problems running the china chips?

5pcs 2 EUR.

View attachment 2354869

99% of RAM/NAND/EPROM/Flash memories from AliExpress are used pulls, or worse, fakes.

I wouldn't install one to my backplane, even if it works perfectly you will have to replace it down the road a lot sooner than one brand new from Richelt/Mouser.

For something that costs less than $3 + shipping from a reputable distributor, it's just dumb. Wait until you need other items and then you are over the minimum purchase price required.

Btw, I really don't understand why you are worried with that, your issue is not related to the SPI flash memory, but to the cross-flashing process. Replacing the SPI flash memory will get you nowhere.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Maybe this is the time to tell that the Dumper also works with a CH341a programmer for a long time:

It detects one if it is plugged in and adds the library files needed.

Just use it as normal, it just reads and writes to the programmer, if present.

It changes its name to ch341a_spi tool if in that mode.
Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 20.11.59.png

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 20.14.32.png

Reactions: macsforme

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Maybe this is the time to tell that the Dumper also works with a CH341a programmer for a long time:

It detects one if it is plugged in and adds the library files needed.

Just use it as normal, it just reads and writes to the programmer, if present.

It changes its name to ch341a_spi tool if in that mode.
View attachment 2354877
View attachment 2354878

Wow, i have a programmer like that that i used for GPUs and related stuff.

Will i be able to just dump a .rom / .bin file to a chip and weld it in to a GPU with your app?

I usually use windows for that..

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Wow, i have a programmer like that that i used for GPUs and related stuff.

Will i be able to just dump a .rom / .bin file to a chip and weld it in to a GPU with your app?

I usually use windows for that..

yes, but not _a_, you must use your firmware dump, as it contains the machine IDs of your machine.

Reactions: trifero

skodises

Contributor
Jan 9, 2021
Here's just another testimonial for @tsialex and his services. I had him recover my boot ROM quite some time back. I acquired a MATT card at the same time, and flashed the clean ROM onto it- and have been fat, dumb, and happy since.

I'm using my personal machine in a production environment here at work, because it is far faster and more reliable than the Wintel junk they provide to the engineering staff. And much to my chagrin, the cleaning people emptied my trash and jammed the can up against the front of the machine, completely killing the airflow- while I was out of the office for a week. So it sat and cooked the whole time. And when I returned, it was well and truly bricked.

Bummer. So I popped out the MATT card, and it was *still* bricked. On spec, I bought both a replacement (2012) backplane, and a new 2012 PSU. Popped in the new backplane and PSU, and it booted- but unsurprisingly, the 2012 NVRAM was severely compromised (unrecognized second VSS store). I put the MATT card back in, and to my surprise, even that card itself was bricked. So I removed it, reflashed the backplane NVRAM with the clean never-booted image, and I'm happily back up and running with my original serial number and licenses intact- as if it never happened.

I'll plant a fresh MX25L3206E on the MATT card and reflash it shortly (using @Macschrauber's Dumper and a CH341a programmer). But having that clean never-booted image just waiting in the wings has been worth its weight in *gold*, in terms of getting me back up and running in minimum time.

At this point, the only original hardware is the sheet metal. It's like inheriting your grandfather's hammer: the handle has been replaced 6 times, and the head has been replaced twice: but it is still the best d(*&(&*% hammer there is... (;-)

And yes, this is the same 2010 Mac Pro that survived my house fire a couple of years ago (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/these-things-are-stout.2340007/). That is why I did the PSU as well as the backplane. The poor thing certainly has been through the wars. But it is a trooper, and well worth preserving: it is still the fastest machine in the company. And I now have a lock on my office door.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Here's just another testimonial for @tsialex and his services. I had him recover my boot ROM quite some time back. I acquired a MATT card at the same time, and flashed the clean ROM onto it- and have been fat, dumb, and happy since.

I'm using my personal machine in a production environment here at work, because it is far faster and more reliable than the Wintel junk they provide to the engineering staff. And much to my chagrin, the cleaning people emptied my trash and jammed the can up against the front of the machine, completely killing the airflow- while I was out of the office for a week. So it sat and cooked the whole time. And when I returned, it was well and truly bricked.

Bummer. So I popped out the MATT card, and it was *still* bricked. On spec, I bought both a replacement (2012) backplane, and a new 2012 PSU. Popped in the new backplane and PSU, and it booted- but unsurprisingly, the 2012 NVRAM was severely compromised (unrecognized second VSS store). I put the MATT card back in, and to my surprise, even that card itself was bricked. So I removed it, reflashed the backplane NVRAM with the clean never-booted image, and I'm happily back up and running with my original serial number and licenses intact- as if it never happened.

I'll plant a fresh MX25L3206E on the MATT card and reflash it shortly. But having that clean never-booted image just waiting in the wings has been worth its weight in *gold*, in terms of getting me back up and running in minimum time.

At this point, the only original hardware is the sheet metal. It's like inheriting your grandfather's hammer: the handle has been replaced 6 times, and the head has been replaced twice: but it is still the best d(*&(&*% hammer there is... (;-)

And yes, this is the same 2010 Mac Pro that survived my house fire a couple of years ago. That is why I did the PSU as well as the backplane. The poor thing certainly has been through the wars. But it is a trooper, and well worth preserving: it is still the fastest machine in the company. And I now have a lock on my office door.
SO great.

Reactions: skodises
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.